Sticking Passanger Door Handle (outer)

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
sticking passanger door handle (outer) -
has anyone else had the above fault ? the handle seems to pull out further than expected and this it sticks in this position, I then have to push the handle back in. I have tried some WD40 Silicone spray lubricant but this has not fixed the problem. Is this easy to fix myself or is it a trip to the local VW van centre for a warrangty repair ?

Other than this the only other fauly so far was the sliding door being very noisy and stiff when opening and closing, I found that the bottom roller bearing was totally stuck and not spinning. A bit of grease solved this but maybe I should have took it for a warranty repair?

@andy greenwood I had that exact problem on my T5.....tried the same as you but it never did work. I'd take it in....I always got the feeling it was more of an "internal" problem and couldn't be solved with a bit of lube?? Keep us posted, eh?:thumbsup:

@andy greenwood I had that exact problem on my T5.....tried the same as you but it never did work. I'd take it in....I always got the feeling it was more of an "internal" problem and couldn't be solved with a bit of lube?? Keep us posted, eh?:thumbsup:
Sounds like a warranty repair then, i'll let you know how i get on

Alright guys ... My passenger side front door had this problem.
I've had the very same issue on my T5. Took me a while to work out what was going on, but all fixed now.
When the handle is removed at any point or if not fitted correctly at the factory, the handle will not be located in the spring loaded return.
To relocate, you need to remove the barrel which is shown in many vids on Youtube.
Once this is done, pop off the wire locator in the handle, so the handle can be removed.
Now, this is where I struggled for a while, but once I worked it out, it was two minutes of a job.
You can't really see into the door, so I popped on a head torch as you need two hands - seeing is key to fixing !
As you look into the door, slightly to the left of the wire door pull which you have removed from the handle, there is a an open C shaped black plastic bracket, that needs pulling towards you until it stops - I did this with some bent wire (old coat hanger).
As this is held in position, the handle can now be re-fitted, but this time the handle locating arm needs to be located into the C bracket you are holding with the bent wire. Once it is located, let go and the handle will have much more force on the spring and will not pull-out too far or have a weak pull - this will be very evident at this point and you will know it's fixed.
Re-fit the barrel - all brand new.
I know this is a lot of words, but takes two minutes and is very simple once you know !
I didn't take any pics unfortunately and don't want to take apart again, as the barrel locating bolt was stripping as I was tightening it (Quality issues).

Sooo - if your handle is pulling out too far, the pull is weak, but it still works - this will almost certainly be the issue !!!

Alright guys ... My passenger side front door had this problem.
I've had the very same issue on my T5. Took me a while to work out what was going on, but all fixed now.
When the handle is removed at any point or if not fitted correctly at the factory, the handle will not be located in the spring loaded return.
To relocate, you need to remove the barrel which is shown in many vids on Youtube.
Once this is done, pop off the wire locator in the handle, so the handle can be removed.
Now, this is where I struggled for a while, but once I worked it out, it was two minutes of a job.
You can't really see into the door, so I popped on a head torch as you need two hands - seeing is key to fixing !
As you look into the door, slightly to the left of the wire door pull which you have removed from the handle, there is a an open C shaped black plastic bracket, that needs pulling towards you until it stops - I did this with some bent wire (old coat hanger).
As this is held in position, the handle can now be re-fitted, but this time the handle locating arm needs to be located into the C bracket you are holding with the bent wire. Once it is located, let go and the handle will have much more force on the spring and will not pull-out too far or have a weak pull - this will be very evident at this point and you will know it's fixed.
Re-fit the barrel - all brand new.
I know this is a lot of words, but takes two minutes and is very simple once you know !
I didn't take any pics unfortunately and don't want to take apart again, as the barrel locating bolt was stripping as I was tightening it (Quality issues).

Sooo - if your handle is pulling out too far, the pull is weak, but it still works - this will almost certainly be the issue !!!
You just saved me over an hours worth of head scratching! I couldn't work out why my passenger door handle had gone loose with a weak pull after removing the inner doorskin and lock mechanism. Following your intructions, I managed to slide the handle forward, leaver the C bracket towards me, then slide in handle back into place locating it in the C bracket.

Cheers!

Back