Sterling BB1230 Charger Alarms/Voice

KR.

T6 Guru
I've been hearing a double beep recently and convinced it was coming from the dash area but there's no visible indication of what it could be. The Carbon monoxide alarm is in the back and positive it's not coming from that direction. I had my Kenwood head unit reinstalled and married to the MSFW recently and it feels like it's only since then but it's a high pitched double beep and have ruled that out, as audio alarms are switched off. The other day I was in the rear of the van and heard a longer tone which lasted a few seconds and then a recorded voice saying something about "Press Test". I think it's the Sterling BB1230 which is under the drivers seat providing the beeps and the disembodied voice indication. I don't see anything in the manual about beeps or voice prompts, the beeps are random although there might have been a pattern of them occurring at the end of the street which would be about 30 seconds drive away, which kind of points to the charger kicking in after startup?
I've got some lights on the charger which is inconveniently situated under the drivers seat, the lower left 13.8 and 14.2 lights are illuminated and at the top a blue float light is steady. I can only really access the right hand button under the red cover without taking the seat off and getting full access. Under that red cover where the wires are connected there are two blue LEDS on steady.
Any ideas? The manual mentions a buzzer but doesn't indicate why it would come on and the noise isn't a buzz, it's a beep!

I have that Sterling and pretty sure it does not have a speech facility and it has never beeped even when I have changed its settings, mind you mine is 4 years old so there may be a newer model
also there isn’t a ‘test’ button

Thanks Nigel, you're right there isn't a test button, the voice may have said Setup or Enter instead of Test. Being in the back of the van I know the tone and voice came from the front. Is the diesel heater beeping at me I wonder, as it's under the seat as well... What is concerning me is the voice message occurred about an hour after I'd driven through some deep water and I'm wondering if the two events are connected, I didn't action the message as not sure where it came from and I've not heard it since.

The diesel heater doesn’t speak/beep either assuming it’s a webesco or similar.
you say it’s in the front but the number of times a smoke detector has beeped and it’s the opposite side of the house than we thought is amazing - some sounds are just not ‘directional‘ and also most carbon monoxide/ smoke detectors have a test button and when the battery is getting low mine do ‘talk’ so I would double check those first

Great minds Nigel I've just been out to the van and checked the smoke detector, the voice is similar and there is a Test button and I can't think of anything else ....
I also don't think the diesel heater has any such facilities either. What was also bugging me is I have one of those 12v socket voltage readers for a rough indication of leisure battery strength and after driving 100 miles x 2 today on checking it read 12.8v and didn't move after running the engine, I've seen it read higher. I've managed to prise the red cover off the Sterling and accessed both buttons underneath, did the O.N.O.F.F. and on starting up with the engine running I got some different light indications - Top (output) voltage 14.6v and lower (input) voltage leds 14.6 and 15v illuminated, top battery status reading is now amber and in the Absorption stage. That 12v socket now reading 13. 2v. I switched the engine off and top output voltage stayed at 14.6 and lower changed to flashing red/15.4 which according to the manual is 'high input voltage'. If anyone can say these indications are fine then I'll leave it at that.

There's a couple of things going on from driving through deep water, not fully understanding the BB1230 and that voice message with the beeps - they may or may not be connected. I'll monitor the situation, as they say when they're not to sure what to do next :)

The one problem with tinkering with the Sterling is you don’t know what state you have left it in (half power, night mode and a dozen other settings)
although I am sure the Sterling is not your problem if you have been pushing buttons then You may have created a new one.....?
For piece of mind I would do a factory reset on it, assuming you can get at the two illumination buttons?
it’s easy peasy but you do need to count the flashes carefully and be able to hold the buttons in.
Rather than spend ages telling you the process I will try to add a link to a video which explains all - if you mess it up first time around just do it again. The video shows a new model with buttons on the top, you just use the two lit blue under the cover.

Thanks for that Nigel, I've seen mention of night mode etc but I'm sure I've only switched it on and off. I'll go for a reset if I get any snags with it. Beyond the short term I'm getting solar installed in a couple of weeks so I'll get the fitter to give the unit a once over. I won't mention it's been talking to me :whistle:

You don’t need ever turn it on/off - just leave it alone and it looks after itself - haven’t touched mine in 3 years!

Back