Steering Wheel Play.

Can you see any movement on the rack mounts to the subframe? Any obvious play in the ball joints on the tie rods? Any bushes deteriorated?

I haven't looked TBH and I don't have the knowledge to make a judgement myself. I'll get it looked at by a local mechanic and see if they can see any issues.

I haven't looked TBH and I don't have the knowledge to make a judgement myself. I'll get it looked at by a local mechanic and see if they can see any issues.
Might be worth getting an alignment while you're at it.

Standard T6 VW alloys with standard bolts are recommended as 180NM in the manual. If the wheel bolts were the cause of the play then they would need to be properly loose.

Aftermarket wheels or bolts may differ.

Last edited:
Forgot to say. I’m on standard Bridgestone 235/55/17 alloys and tyres. Front suspension is standard T30. Tyres are worn to 4mm but I can’t see why that should be the cause.

No, I uprated the rear suspension to compensate for the sag after conversion.
After I converted my van it drove as many have described in this thread. Very vague above 40mph, poor/no steering feel. The last straw was a trip to the lakes where I literally was driving round at 30/40 mph as it just felt dangerous.
Had the suspension replaced by Steve at CRS with the Koni/H&R combo and since then it drives fine. Absolutely precise and straight.
I drove back from CRS on the winding A roads and easily found myself exceeding the speed limit. The difference was dramatic.
May be worth speaking to CRS or Bognor Motors and going down the suspension route.

Had the van checked this morning up on a ramp. All in good condition according to the mechanic. So perhaps it’s just a characteristic of a T6.

Good that you you’ve had it checked over. Not sure I’ve noticed play in mine though. :oops:

Good that you you’ve had it checked over. Not sure I’ve noticed play in mine though. :oops:
He commented on how good the condition of everything is, remarked that it was “like brand new”.

So I’m not sure, I only use it as a camper, it doesn’t get driven often and so perhaps it’s just noticeably light/ drifty when compared to my car which I drive every day…..

I’m getting this now on my 2017 T6. I find the steering likes to wander unless I hold it pretty firm. The steering feels quite light and indirect. Front tyres still have 4mm tread and all pressures are correct.

Did anyone get to the bottom of it or is it just a characteristic of the van?

No, I uprated the rear suspension to compensate for the sag after conversion.
Rear-end is still heavy and the rake may still be out.

I had 4 wheel alignment done. What else do you suggest?
Height rake front to back, as opposed to wheel rake for alignment.
Post up your height measurements, taken as per this photo -
A7FFB689-84D4-490B-94CC-D54CDA19EF8A.jpeg

Check the heights as per post #34 from @Ads_Essex
I have standard wheels and suspension I don’t think this is the cause, I had a look today and there is no play in any linkages to the steering rack, the play is in the rack it’s self and it was new yesterday, it’s marginally better than the old rack I may try adjusting the preload but this didn’t help the previous rack.

I have standard wheels and suspension I don’t think this is the cause, I had a look today and there is no play in any linkages to the steering rack, the play is in the rack it’s self and it was new yesterday, it’s marginally better than the old rack I may try adjusting the preload but this didn’t help the previous rack.
If you have standard suspension and a full conversion I would suggest it’s definitely worth doing the measurements @Ads_Essex suggested.

Hello there did you fix your steering problem I’ve had the same on mine since I bought it.
I’ve put all new tie rod ends track rod ends reconditioned steering rack literally everything is like new under the van and they’re still bloody play in the steering rack most garages can’t work out what it is so I did the homework myself.
I’ve checked the steering column which there is no play. and I come to realise there is another u join under the van .. rack to column u jont
It’s going in the garage next week to be fitted hopefully this is it I’ll give you an update
Mike

6E1094DF-FD52-4278-885C-C86178F97BC0.jpeg

Back