Steering Wheel Play.

Brae

T6 Pro
Hi
My van has developed slight play in the steering wheel which has been checked twice by the dealers who say it's fine … which I disagree with ! On duel carriage ways at 60mph moving the steering wheel continually from side to side is annoying to say the least .
After a week of doing a lot of mileage I'll be taking it back to the dealers again as I can't put up with it , before I do has anyone had the same experiences with slight play ? if so what was the cause ?
Cheers

I was thinking I'd get vibration if it wasn't balanced correctly ?
I'll just need to make sure I'm in the van when the dealership take it on a test drive.

Yeah that's correct, but if you say it's at 60mph, it sounds like something to do with the wheels.

I'd swap the fronts to the rear, just to eliminate the wheels and tyres.

Yeah that's correct, but if you say it's at 60mph, it sounds like something to do with the wheels.

I'd swap the fronts to the rear, just to eliminate the wheels and tyres.
I should've been clearer … still has play at low speeds .it's more noticeable on dual carriageways at 60mph .

Have you had the alignment checked?
Yeh it was done few months back with new front tyres and checked again at the dealership whilst having a service .
It's not how it used to be on duel carriageways/motorway and that's what is the annoying part.

Yeh it was done few months back with new front tyres and checked again at the dealership whilst having a service .
It's not how it used to be on duel carriageways/motorway and that's what is the annoying part.

has it been lowered?

Should never have any have play only ‘wind up’ which is where the joints take up the slack and that has to be minimal and within very fine tolerances. Effectively if it’s noticeable at 60mph then it’s plain wrong.

dropped with 30mm lowering springs at the dealers 6months ago

Was it fine before then?
When you say play do you mean drifting at 60mph or you can rock the steering wheel and makes no change in direction?
Did they provide you with the alignment print-out?

Drifting would be down to alignment and play to me would be Bush related, trackrod-end or top/bottom ball-joints

Was it fine before then?
When you say play do you mean drifting at 60mph or you can rock the steering wheel and makes no change in direction?
Did they provide you with the alignment print-out?

Drifting would be down to alignment and play to me would be Bush related, trackrod-end or top/bottom ball-joints
Only these past 4 months it's been noticeable ,I'm able to rock the steering wheel with no change in direction .
I explained all of this to the dealership and twice they said it's fine ,but I'm not having it .
Booked in again this Friday ,I'll just make sure I'm in the van out on a test drive .

Sorry to dig this up but did you find the solution?
VW replaced my steering rack under warranty but its exactly the same still as you described. Its horrible to drive

Yes exactly the same, doesn't seem to affect how it drives and I think it's done it since new. This isn't me saying that it should be like that though! Just never caused me bother so never looked in to it further.

Strangely I also noticed this on mine quite recently. I does appear to alter the steering angle while in the apparent slack area so I assume it is just backlash in the PAS.

I’m getting this now on my 2017 T6. I find the steering likes to wander unless I hold it pretty firm. The steering feels quite light and indirect. Front tyres still have 4mm tread and all pressures are correct.

Did anyone get to the bottom of it or is it just a characteristic of the van?

I’m getting this now on my 2017 T6. I find the steering likes to wander unless I hold it pretty firm. The steering feels quite light and indirect. Front tyres still have 4mm tread and all pressures are correct.

Did anyone get to the bottom of it or is it just a characteristic of the van?
Is the van sitting high at the front and low at the rear?

Back