Steering Wheel GTi MK7 Upgrade

Tony Smith

CSS Ltd.
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning All

This MK7 GTi wheel conversation does not work if you have Auto Cruise as I have on a 2018 T6 DSG

The MK7 Golf wheel has the wrong buttons as there's is no cruise cancel button but a Mode button instead

I have the right wheel with the cancel button cheaper by far than the idiots at Raceline, when my court case is over I'll write up about Raceline but can't at the momment

Now knowing I have the correct wheel it's the coding that is the next issue and this I am working on right now so watch this space

What has to happen is each button needs to be reassigned from the steering wheel slip Ring control module to the can gateway and the central convienance module

See photos attached

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I often watch a YouTube channel called 5 Star Car Stereo, an American stereo installers vlog, and they routinely use a little module that sits between the steering wheel controls and the car and allows them to reprogram any button on the wheel. Can't remember what it's called but something like that sounds the answer for what you're doing

Hi Andy yes that's some thing I also have heard off if you can recall the goods or the guys who did that it would be the answer as it's simply an address issue with in the slip ring control module but as it's a 2018 model we have realised that you can not talk to the modules as we could before as VW have locked them down with no access codes

I am
Open to any experiences or success that any one has had as I know the standard wheels on the vans are Pants and we all want rid of them

Like I said it's the coding or rather signal addresses that are the problem

We need a Brian box who writes this then it will be sorted

I have already spoken to VW directly in GMBH as the partner is German and we kind of might get some help

I want to get an answer and won't stop till I do

Have a great day

Last edited by a moderator:
This van has Auto cruise and this is the problem as the whole set up is different

The wheel is correct but the coding is wrong and this is why each button would need totally re-addressing

Not some thing I have ever done or known to be done

Why not use the correct steering wheel module?

Which are the correct modules for T6 EU 6 ? ACC / Paddles.... please

5G0959442q ?

or should they be the 6c0 version ?

Just to answer this question, yes these work. We've just done a set a customer bought in with the part number 5G0959442Q.

The buttons illuminate white but all function Inc cruise work on the wheel. This is a manual 2018 T6 for reference

Back