Steering play

Chrisab

Hi all. Just need some advice. I bought a t6 California about 6 months ago and noticed the steering had some play in it when I move the steering wheel about 10-15 mm the front wheels don’t respond. I have checked the steering shaft in the cabin that all moved at the same rate as the steering wheel so that part looks ok. I then changed the rear springs for harder levelling springs as it had the usual rear sagging about 30mm lower than the front as I thought this might help with the play but no change on the steering. I think I might have found the problem I have been advised it’s looking like the intermediate steering shaft but don’t want to spend approximately £450 parts and labour if it’s not that. Has anyone has the same issue. Thanks
Chris.

10-15mm... Sounds about right to me?(without double checking and measuring)

There is always some play before you feel the rack resistance.... It's normally easier to feel at higher speeds.... Say motorway for example.

I'll check again later.

Yep it’s definitely there at motorway speed. Feels quite nervous and i have to put a lot of input through the wheel to keep it straight. I have had it all tracked and everything was good and well within tolerance. I have had a feel of a couple of other t6’s and they feel fine front wheels turn as soon as you turn the wheel.

Mine has done it from new now with 90000 miles on it.Can you find another van to drive before you spend the money as mine has just past the mot .

Yeah I have checked a couple of others and they didn’t seem to do it mine was mot’d just before I picked it up. I will try and take a video and post.

Hi all. There is another thread on this topic that goes into a lot of detail. Finger seems to point towards rack to shaft u joint. Mine does the same. An awful slack 15mm on my he steering wheel before the rack or pump takes up the slack.

Hi all. There is another thread on this topic that goes into a lot of detail. Finger seems to point towards rack to shaft u joint. Mine does the same. An awful slack 15mm on my he steering wheel before the rack or pump takes up the slack.
Have you got the link to this?

Hi all. Link above for another thread on steering wheel play. All evidence points towards the rack to shaft u joint. Changing mine shortly

I wouldn't go throwing a shaft on the van without checking it first.

Disconnect the boot from the shaft where it meets the rack. Now get someone to move the steering freeplay while you observe to see if the shaft is moving. If it's moving the steering rack pinion, then you need a new steering rack.

If it ain't moving the rack, then observe all the joints on the shaft and column to pinpoint the movement. A lot of times, the pinch bolts on the shaft can work slightly loose and need nipped back up to remove the play.

My own t6 has this freeplay and a customers t5.1 has freeplay too. In both cases, the movement is in the steering rack. I'd be double checking things as you don't want to waste money to discover you need a new rack!

Back