Stealth b2 or horizon sport

Saw my first Horizon yesterday at CustomHaus in Swindon. OMG what a stealth looking roof. I have chosen one for my van which work begins tomorrow so it's with them for 6-8 weeks as it's a full conversion. I will post on picking it up. I have gone colour coded top with with coded struts as well. I couldn't believe from 20 metres away that there was a pop top fitted to their van at all.

We looked at both and ultimately went with the Stealth B2. It's a tiny bit more noticeable from the outside, the Horizon really is the ultimate there, but only if you know what you're looking for really. If you don't, it's still basically completely under the radar. One fo the things that swung it was the interior finish - we preferred the Stealth to the Horizon, which didn't look as slick when you're in the van with the roof down. In hindsight maybe that doesn't matter much, but the Stealth came out a bit cheaper too - I think around £900-ish off the top of my head. Worth mentioning too, that the Horizon opened massively higher than the Stealth, which seemed like a waste of space for us - only being a pair. We will be using all year round, so it's more headroom to heat in the morning too.

Here are some images of our Stealth B2 down and up, and general shot of the van with it down. It's most noticeable at the back, so I've ordered a Sportline style spoiler for the tailgate, which will finish off the lines at the rear much better, and make it even more less obvious. There's a solar panel on there too incidentally.

popdown.jpg

popup.jpg

_TGP8712.jpg

phone-snap.jpg

Wow that looks very nice indeed I bet you're so pleased.
So very pleased. This is our first van, but we've used a few over the years with more 'normal' pop-tops and probably also worth pointing out that there are some negatives, if you can call them that, with both the Stealth and the Horizon, in that putting them up or down is a bit more of a faff. The other vans, although looking from the outside like they've got lego hair stuck on them, or in the case of my Dad's that was half the price of this, but looked like it had an upturned bath on the roof - putting the roof up and down was much easier. More often than not they just had some straps hanging down at the front with clips on and that's all you needed to do - but these have 4 bolts to undo - 2 up front under the sun visors, and 2 at the back too. I just have to walk away from the van and look back at it to know it's worth the extra effort though. Over the moon.

Reactions: CAB
@Gunship - that's an interesting comment you made re the internal finish of the two roofs. Do you have any internal pictures of your roof so I can compare with my [very late] Hilo, "almost-an-Horizon" roof?

BTW, my roof only has the 2 bolts at the front (under the sun visors).

@Gunship - that's an interesting comment you made re the internal finish of the two roofs. Do you have any internal pictures of your roof so I can compare with my [very late] Hilo, "almost-an-Horizon" roof?

BTW, my roof only has the 2 bolts at the front (under the sun visors).
Interesting, I wonder if the 4 bolts are a new thing then. I'd prefer 2, but I guess you have to take some rough with the smooth.

Here's a piccy of the inside of ours, plus one of it at the converters with the roof frame in too.

I think what I didn't like as much on the Horizon we were shown was what the square metal frame looked like that it was housed in. It reminded me a bit of the chrome door thresholds in my parent's house - my Dad - bless him - is a master of the bodge job, so he always used to use things for a multitude of purposes they were never designed for, so I'd often see them about the house - finishing off something entirely unsuitable, so I appreciate this is going to be a personal opinion! :)

_TGP8720.jpg

kombi-comversion-progress-1-roof-front.jpg

Interesting, I wonder if the 4 bolts are a new thing then. I'd prefer 2, but I guess you have to take some rough with the smooth.

Here's a piccy of the inside of ours, plus one of it at the converters with the roof frame in too.

I think what I didn't like as much on the Horizon we were shown was what the square metal frame looked like that it was housed in. It reminded me a bit of the chrome door thresholds in my parent's house - my Dad - bless him - is a master of the bodge job, so he always used to use things for a multitude of purposes they were never designed for, so I'd often see them about the house - finishing off something entirely unsuitable, so I appreciate this is going to be a personal opinion! :)

View attachment 239601

View attachment 239602
That does look good. Any pics of the inside with roof down?
I'm interested in how that oval hole looks / is finished? Again personal opinion but from memory it looks a bit unfinished, can see right into the roof bit? Maybe a bit more wind noise?

View attachment 239601

View attachment 239602
We hired a camper in 2021 that had a Hilo with 4 bolts (though the rears were only plastic and didn't really seem to add very much). My camper, that I picked up last year, has a Hilo with only 2 front bolts, so, based on this, I believe the 2-bolt version is the later design. However, given that the guys that converted my van (VisionTech) are the same guys that developed the Horizon roof (based very closely on the Hilo), I would have expected the Horizon to also have only the front bolts. Is that not the case? Does the Horizon have the rears also?

Re the "chrome door threshold" look, I'm not particularly keen on that either, TBH. What material have they used to finish-off the metal edging in your van? Aesthetically, I like your van's curved access into the pop-top, but I'd need to try it out to assess if it's also practical.

We hired a camper in 2021 that had a Hilo with 4 bolts (though the rears were only plastic and didn't really seem to add very much). My camper, that I picked up last year, has a Hilo with only 2 front bolts, so, based on this, I believe the 2-bolt version is the later design. However, given that the guys that converted my van (VisionTech) are the same guys that developed the Horizon roof (based very closely on the Hilo), I would have expected the Horizon to also have only the front bolts. Is that not the case? Does the Horizon have the rears also?

Re the "chrome door threshold" look, I'm not particularly keen on that either, TBH. What material have they used to finish-off the metal edging in your van? Aesthetically, I like your van's curved access into the pop-top, but I'd need to try it out to assess if it's also practical.
I spoke to Horizon after looking at your roof.
They told me they do have the rears, but they are optional ie you dont have t have them fitted.

Reactions: Bav
I spoke to Horizon after looking at your roof.
They told me they do have the rears, but they are optional ie you dont have t have them fitted.
Does beg the question what purpose the rears serve then. Did they suggest a reason why you might opt for them?

That does look good. Any pics of the inside with roof down?
I'm interested in how that oval hole looks / is finished? Again personal opinion but from memory it looks a bit unfinished, can see right into the roof bit? Maybe a bit more wind noise?
It's finished with a black rubber. A bit like door seals, but somehow a little 'fancier'.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 22.27.33_7d5eaebf.jpg

I went for the B2 on my new bus, but wouldn’t hesitate to get a Horizon after previously having a HiLo.

I think the B2 gives more headroom when the roof is down, Horizon gives more with the roof up.

6e32dfc5-3730-44b5-8cf1-ccf690a41a3d.jpeg4ade42b7-61dd-4d45-8abf-83ea989bd65f.jpegbbca9829-9ed4-4456-a7c0-37720ea0fed9.jpeg

Reactions: Bav
Back