Starting problem now and then...

Leer

Learning
Hi can anybody help I’ve a t6 17 plate with 40k on clock now and then I’ve trouble starting it will turn over non 10 times before it decided to fire up,and I can start next morn ect it can fire up on 1sst turn

Have you scanned the codes? A £15 Carista will do that for you if you don’t have access to a code reader.

definitely needs to be scanned to get correct diagnosis Buddy ,could be a number of things like crank sensor or cam position sensor etc is it not still under warranty as noticed it's a 17 plate on your post ?

Scan for codes to give you direction.

Could be glow plug related.?

Or

Rail fuel pressure?

Or etc

Hi all it’s just out of warranty,and haven’t scanned it yet,it only started happening last few days driving me mad tbh, I’m far from mechanicaly minded,would anybody think it’s going to be a expensive fix?

Very difficult to say without a scan. With any luck it’s a temperamental sensor or dodgy wiring/connectors and an easy fix. If you can look on the VCDS map, there may be a user locally that can (socially distantly!) do a scan.

Failing that, Carista is a cheap and useful addition to your van. You can also change quite a few settings and features with it too.

Battery? Does it struggle starting after a short journey but ok after a long one?

No battery fine mate although it’s not a original battery it’s a rac battery to was on van when I bought it

It also turns over fine but tunes over to for to long before it fires and it’s intermittent 5out 10 times

Hi all finally showed a fault on machine code was p229500,guy said very low fuel will store that error and cause the starting problem when parked on hill only ,any thoughts guys?

I've a similar problem overhere. Do you alsof have a 2.0 TDI?
Ik noticed that according tot vcds there is (almost) no fuel pressure when IT won't fire.
Because most of the Times it's starts perfect, I'm thinking of a bad sensor?

Yes, during cranking.
1) Perhaps you could do a recording described here:

2) A VCDS Auto-Scan would be helpful

3) Also full engine measurement block data might be useful - described here:

Thanks for your help, I've tried to create the log's as suggested.
Unfortunately no faulty starts this time.

Attachments

• LOG-01-IDE00021_&10.csv
    5.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Log-WV1ZZZ7HZJH102292.txt
    1 KB · Views: 2
  • Log-WV1ZZZ7HZJH102292-93270km-57955mi_auto-scan.txt
    14.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Scan-WV1ZZZ7HZJH102292-20210823-1603-93270km-57955mi.txt
    13.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: mmi
Thanks for your help, I've tried to create the log's as suggested.
Unfortunately no faulty starts this time.
Yes, indeed nothing strange in these files.
It seems your dongle is of older generation as it didn't create the huge blockmap data set in step (3) (file blockmap-01-04L-906-056-KG...? An example how the file looks here --> Won’t start [Resolved]
Here I’ve Some Photos I Made when it was / wasn’t firing.
Those numbers certainly are strange. Would be nice to catch a non-starter with the recording on :geek:

Ok, so I would try to get this data when the start issue occurs again. To be sure, most important is this one, right?

D1030CE9-80EC-4952-B454-A1DBA1CD0D63.jpg

Any other thoughts about the missing fuel pressure?
As it only occurs once in a while and there are no other issues during driving, I’m thinking about an electrical issue.

Reactions: mmi
Back