Starter battery charger question

Abevan1984

T6 Pro
Hi all,

hoping someone in the know could help me here.

I have a leisure battery under my drivers seat that has power cables coming from the starter battery running through a Victron b2b charger for charging whilst I driving.

I also have electric hook up with the mains going to a consumer unit and out to a 3 output Victron charger to charge the leisure battery whilst on shore power.

My question: do you think it would be possible me to use the mains charger spare output to charge the starter battery using the same cables that the b2b charger uses? That way i dont need to run new cables saving me the hassle of taking up the seats, carpet etc ..

If so, how can this be achieved?

Would I need some form of switch or automatic crossover device?

thanks

Last edited:
shouldnt be a problem.

can you post some pics of the kit & install. . . ? (pics say a 1000 words etc)

are the batteries the same chemistry? ( ie starter and leisure both SLA/AGM? )

whatr victron b2b - orion?

you say "Spare output" from the EHU charger . . . what are the other two outputs going to?

Thanks @Dellmassive

When I say I have, what I mean is, I have in boxes ready to install. I have a plan drawn up which is, creative.

B2B is Victron Orion -rt smart 12/12 -18
Mains charge is Victron blue Smart ip22 12/12 - 20 3 output. 1 output is going to the leisure battery to charge when on EHU, so 2 spare outputs.

Was wondering if as shown by the dotted line, I could use a spare output from the mains charger to pick up the existing cables to “reverse charge” the starter battery when on EHU

But I wasn’t sure what effect this would have on the B2B charger and whether I’d need some form of switch or preferably auto switch ..

hope I’m making sense

image.jpg

Last edited:
Basically, I have had the seats out, dash out, carpet up and sound deadened the cab floor, put the cabling down as per the diagram. Then saw your post after I put it all back together and thought oooh i could charge my starter battery too ... but don’t want to take it all up to run more cables back to the battery!

yes . . . have a look over here at some schematics:

just remember to fuse and cable everything properly.

eg:

1607344705689.png

Back