Start Of Serious Engineering

Hi
We were away for 9 weeks and covered over 12 thousand miles, completing the dash back across Russia (5,000kms) in just over eight days (you only get a visa for 10 days from the Russian Embassy in Mongolia, and you cannot be late!!!)
The van is now in rehab having all the dents knocked out and repaired, Mongolia is a very tough country !

CX16, thank you for sharing. I’ve loved reading that. Truly fantastic

CX16, my first post on here and a big thank you for sharing your adventures (and the mods). If I collect my T6 by then, I will see you in Telford.

Hi Captain
We covered over 12k miles in 9 weeks. The most harrowing driving was in Russia where half the road traffic is 40t artics all driving flat out, with every car driver determined to overtake you, doesn’t matter if your on a blind bend or over the crest of a hill, and if they get bored with trying to overtake you on the outside they have a go on the inside at junctions. . . Driving in Mongolia is very rough, virtually always ‘off road’ and on The Northern Route is across a number of mountain ranges (where we collected all our dents and damage) or through rivers or river beds, so only possible in the summer, in the winter they would be raging torrents ( I did manage to get water over the windscreen on one occasion as I entered a river too fast) surprising how fast you get use to driving over stuff that you would shy away from at home. In reality you have little choice as you are going in a certain direction to get you home and there are tracks in a lot of places, but these can literally disappear in the long grass as we found out. The van is now well on its road to recovery, so looking forward to Telford.

Back