Spring Cups

Dave F

VIP Member
T6 Guru
just took my wheel off to fit spacers and I could see the spring cup. It doesn’t look right to me? And advice welcome.

117C8A6C-5F90-4288-A6EF-489528DE6D03.jpeg

Bump, is just a post that Bump’s your topic back up to the top of the list in that topic area.

Your spring cup looks like that if it or the spring has rotated.

Well Bump’s your topic back up to the top of the list in that topic area.

Your spring cup looks like that if it or the spring has rotated.
We’ll bump is a new one to me thanks. So are the cups ok or do I need to get them sorted. Would it be down to the fitting of the springs . Thanks you

No, it looks like the spring is rotated from where it needs to be and it’s not sat inside the lower cup. They are only cheap to replace however

Why would it rotate.

It shouldn't really rotate, simply because they are under a fair amount of pressure. It might of just been installed like that, and the fitter didn't notice.
I'd twist it back and check it after a few weeks.

It shouldn't really rotate, simply because they are under a fair amount of pressure. It might of just been installed like that, and the fitter didn't notice.
I'd twist it back and check it after a few weeks.
Ok thanks how do I rotate it do I jack it up then twist it. Is the cup damage?

Ok thanks how do I rotate it do I jack it up then twist it. Is the cup damage?

Yes, jack it up and turn it back. You will see where the spring should naturally sit. The cup might be worn a little now, but might be ok if you put the spring back where it should be.

Like mentioned above, the cups aren't expensive if it needs changing.

Yes, jack it up and turn it back. You will see where the spring should naturally sit. The cup might be worn a little now, but might be ok if you put the spring back where it should be.

Like mentioned above, the cups aren't expensive if it needs changing.
Going to Chang to B14 in February so if there ok I will just have them changed then. Thank you for your advice

Not sure you will be able to turn them just by jacking it up ?
If you have the rear wheels off the ground I think you may need to remove the wheel and take out the lower shock bolt, this allows the lower arm to drop a little bit more and removes most of the tension from the spring but it will still be under a little bit of compression so may not turn even then, I had to get an extra person to hang off the lower arm while van was on ramps to release the spring and that was 40mm H &Rs so possibly a touch shorter than yours, if I’m honest think it will be a hassle to diy it on your drive and if you are changing in feb I would prob leave as is til then

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure you will be able to turn them just by jacking it up ?
If you have the rear wheels of the ground I think you may need to remove the wheel and take out the lower shock bolt, this allows the lower arm to drop a little bit more and removes most of the tension from the spring but it will still be under a little bit of compression so may not turn even then, I had to get an extra person to hang off the lower arm while van was on ramps to release the spring and that was 40mm H &Rs so possibly a touch shorter than yours, if I’m honest think it will be a hassle to diy it in your drive and if you are changing in feb I would prob leave as is til then
Thank. I agree as I don’t have the gear to do that like you say it’s on my drive.cheers for your help again

Thank. I agree as I don’t have the gear to do that like you say it’s on my drive.cheers for your help again
So I am just about to order a new crafter work van I think still just a few queries to get out of my head.
I was going to have B14 fitted at the end of February but with possibility going new on the crafter money is going to be tight especially at the start of the year. My van is on HR 50 and it’s a T30 but it’s just to low on the back end. The mudguards catch the curbs every time we go on and off the drive. I just fitted the spacers yesterday and it looks good apart from the back end. I will eventually get the B14s on later in the year but is there a simple and very inexpensive way of sorting this out. The van is sitting on a slight slope on the drive front end down on this picture.

2C3DBFAF-E30E-4CC0-B1B0-246B25867514.jpeg

9E86A369-5F81-4255-B240-5BACCF40A9F9.jpeg

image.jpg

If your issue is the fact it's sitting lower at the back, than front, which is a common issue on campers with just lowering springs, the cheapest first option i'd try is putting the standard rear springs back in to see if that levels it back up.
You can buy adjusters for the rear springs, but i've only ever seen them as full kits with springs, and they are half the price of B14's for just the adjustable springs.

If your issue is the fact it's sitting lower at the back, than front, which is a common issue on campers with just lowering springs, the cheapest first option i'd try is putting the standard rear springs back in to see if that levels it back up.
You can buy adjusters for the rear springs, but i've only ever seen them as full kits with springs, and they are half the price of B14's for just the adjustable springs.
That’s a option. I will get B14 fitted so don’t won’t to start spending to much. Any removing and refining I will have to pay for so I could end up paying out small amounts that end up costing £100s. What about 30s on the back and keep 50s on the front?. I was told it’s probably the rib seat that is fitted over the suspension that is causing it to sag a lot.

That’s a option. I will get B14 fitted so don’t won’t to start spending to much. Any removing and refining I will have to pay for so I could end up paying out small amounts that end up costing £100s. What about 30s on the back and keep 50s on the front?. I was told it’s probably the rib seat that is fitted over the suspension that is causing it to sag a lot.

It's still going to cost you for more springs, the fitting etc, and that's all guess work if it will level out the van or not, so you could end up being back to square one, or it looking worse.
There's no cheap easy fix that I can think of mate. You situation is something that i've seen loads of times on here, and it's just the pitfall of set lowered springs in a vehicle that is rear heavy. Someone else might have an answer for you, but I don't think you will be totally satisfied until the B14s are fitted.

It's still going to cost you for more springs, the fitting etc, and that's all guess work if it will level out the van or not, so you could end up being back to square one, or it looking worse.
There's no cheap easy fix that I can think of mate. You situation is something that i've seen loads of times on here, and it's just the pitfall of set lowered springs in a vehicle that is rear heavy. Someone else might have an answer for you, but I don't think you will be totally satisfied until the B14s are fitted.
I tho it that thank you. It’s morbthe practicality than the look to be honest at the minute. I will fit the B14s as that is what I won’t I’m just trying to get a bit of breathing space. I might put the old ones back on the back but I hated how high it was and rolling ride but it was just a can then and empty.

I tho it that thank you. It’s morbthe practicality than the look to be honest at the minute. I will fit the B14s as that is what I won’t I’m just trying to get a bit of breathing space. I might put the old ones back on the back but I hated how high it was and rolling ride but it was just a can then and empty.

If it originally a van, and the standard ones were with nothing in the rear, you might find it levels it out better now it's a camper. It's worth a try if you have the springs, and it's an easy driveway job if you have reasonable mechanical skills, or know someone who does. At least that route would be the free one to try first.

If it originally a van, and the standard ones were with nothing in the rear, you might find it levels it out better now it's a camper. It's worth a try if you have the springs, and it's an easy driveway job if you have reasonable mechanical skills, or know someone who does. At least that route would be the free one to try first.
Is it ok to keep the 50s on the front ? I also assume it won’t lift the back end 50mm ?.

Back