Sportline wheels wearing already

I had this on my anniversary golf gti tdi. Had four sets of wheels on it in 18months

I have been seriously considering withdrawing sportlines from the shop, the quality is just not where i would expect it to be especially on the bi colour.
Last few sets i have had from VW i have had to return/reject at least one of the four wheels for manufacturing defects (last set i swapped three) mostly pits/dents in the wheel underneath the lacquer, one wheel even had marks on the lacquer where you could clearly see someone had sanded/polished the lacquer in an attempt to buff out a mark and the wheel was still factory sealed !

I'm glad you said that, no reflection on you or your service which was excellent for the record, but I thought the finish of the alloys from brand new was quite poor, inconsistence in the grey colouring across the anthracite, the polished centre caps looked stained even immediately after taking the cellophane off and didn't clean up. I coated with Gtechniq C2 and two coats of ExoV2 but the after the first wash, still don't look as nice as some other similar styled wheels on other cars.

Most manufactures only give 6 months warranty, Mercedes do. Diamond cut wheels simply don't last.
My abt wheels are diamond cut with a matt lacquer.
Diamond cut wheel refurbs usually after only 6 months to a year. I don't repair Diamond cut wheels myself. I usually turn them down or if I really have to is painting the area a bright aluminum.

Hi Ratty
Can the rot be stopped?
My wife has a 22 month old GOLF GTD with 19 inch Santiago wheels, 1 has a parking scrape but 2 others have corrosion/rot set in. The car is metallic black so may consider going all black if the corrosion can be stopped??

Kev

Hi Ratty
Can the rot be stopped?
My wife has a 22 month old GOLF GTD with 19 inch Santiago wheels, 1 has a parking scrape but 2 others have corrosion/rot set in. The car is metallic black so may consider going all black if the corrosion can be stopped??

Kev

The wheels have to be Diamond cut again. Wheels can only be cut back a certain amount as you're removing material from the face. Any deep gouges need welding over then cutting back.
After cutting they are wet lacquered or clear powercoated.

Understood, but would painting them black provide more protection and less likely for the corrosion to return?

I love the name Diamond cut. Far as I can see all that is done is the wheels are machined in a big lathe or done on a upright mill. Could have done it myself when we had the big lathes where I used to work. Problem as i see it is the edges are too sharp and need rediusing off a tad that way the clear lacquer or powder coat can adear to it better.

Most manufactures only give 6 months warranty, Mercedes do. Diamond cut wheels simply don't last.
My abt wheels are diamond cut with a matt lacquer.
Diamond cut wheel refurbs usually after only 6 months to a year. I don't repair Diamond cut wheels myself. I usually turn them down or if I really have to is painting the area a bright aluminum.
Why are these wheels finished in this way even sold then if they're not up to the job? Surely manufacturers would realise they are going to have warranty issues?

Why are these wheels finished in this way even sold then if they're not up to the job? Surely manufacturers would realise they are going to have warranty issues?

Because of looks.
Diamond cut wheels are nothing new. Honda did them on the 1987 prelude and a few other jap manufactures.
People curb wheels all the time so the warrenty doesn't become a real issue for them.

Manufacturers are just going with the times. Diamond cut wheels now make up 80% of wheel options.

Ouch; that would really annoy me.
My BM alloys (18s, painted metallic grey at the factory) have a few chips but nothing bad.
The Van is doing well.

Depends a lot on the finish: LR Defender Boost alloys are really soft and porous; a shocker to keep clean.

The Subaru alloys are suddenly deteriorating too.

I'll avoid diamond cut alloys.

Morning all , just thought I would update about wheels . Been into my dealers today and they agreed they need replacing, were the first they have seen go like that. I can't have them changed for other finishes as they need to be a like for like , bit of a shame would of had the painted ones. Hope these one don't do the same , booked in next week awesome service again from cvs Canterbury thanks Katie !
Ps is there anything I can do to prevent it happening again ?

Nice one @Richard h - I still haven't been down to mine yet but a someone I know has been and had theirs replaced too. Shame they can't be replaced for a different style. I can see this being an annual visit! I may get the van's software updated too while I am down there.

Will the 24 month warranty start again with the new ones?

Not sure about the warranty, as all work is 12mth but wheels are 24mth. Will ask when I'm there next week. It seems with wheels it's down to the dealer to decide whether they need replacing , good luck with yours .

I have just purchased brand new set of T6 Sportline wheels today with the sole purpose of having them powder coated to matt black as I wasnt keen on the T6 Sportline wheels that are available. I will post a picture on here once they are done so you can either laugh at my expensive exercise or say they look nice.:unsure:

Just a update. I had my wheels replaced today, excellent service from Katie at cvs Canterbury. On a warranty note, the 24mths start again .... didn't even make 12mths with the last set ha ha.

In their defence, I don't think this is just a VW issue (or their supplier).
From the research I did, it seems that most if not all diamond cut alloys are susceptible to issues.

Had no trouble with our Audi diamond cut wheels and been on for 2 years, cleaned once or twice a week since new.

Maybe I should had put "many" rather than "most"...
There were enough threads kicking around on various forums to make me stay away from diamond cut wheels as I want to leave them on all year round and have them look good for several years.

Back