Sportline wheels wearing already

T6dder

Web/graphic designer
T6 Guru
Whilst cleaning my van this morning. I noticed my Sportline Wheels have odd yellow'ish marks all over them. I spoke to Tom at Bristol Camper Company and he said he has had another customer with the same problem. Apparently it's the lacquer reacting with road salts or something like this.

He said to call local VW centre as covered by 24mobth warranty.

I called mine this afternoon and they said to come in and they will send photos to VW. If it's a issue they will replace my wheels for new ones.

Anyone had this? Pics attached

IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0946.JPG IMG_0947.JPG

I have the same bicolour sport lines and whilst they don't look like that I have got tarnish/corrosion marks starting in the recesses between the spokes, its the spot where water puddles after washing them

IMG_2256.JPG Yup same here , asked my dealer about the center caps last time there . Vw responded by saying it was my wheel cleaner ... I use well diluted muc off ... hasnt destroyed all of my mountain bikes . Now have noticed my wheels are like this , are they going to bin me off with the same excuse ? 12months old !IMG_2255.JPG what they gonna look like in 24?

Typical diamond cut wheel white worm. It's road salt and water getting under the lacquer and lifting it.

Manufactures usually only give 6 months warranty on diamond cut wheels as youre basically trying to stick and etch lacquer to a polished aluminum surface.

Still see what VW say.

Typical diamond cut wheel white worm. It's road salt and water getting under the lacquer and lifting it.

Manufactures usually only give 6 months warranty on diamond cut wheels as youre basically trying to stick and etch lacquer to a polished aluminum surface.

Still see what VW say.
6months? If they don't repair or replace I am gonna kick right off!

View attachment 6551 Yup same here , asked my dealer about the center caps last time there . Vw responded by saying it was my wheel cleaner ... I use well diluted muc off ... hasnt destroyed all of my mountain bikes . Now have noticed my wheels are like this , are they going to bin me off with the same excuse ? 12months old !View attachment 6552 what they gonna look like in 24?
Mine are 11months old. I don't use any wheel cleaner just wash n wax. I won't take no for an answer. £800 wheels not lasting a year. I shall be quoting my consumer rights if they don't offer a solution.

Im going to the stealers Monday ....grrr I'm not backing down either. If they were 5/6 years old I could understand but Jesus 1 year !!!!! Keep us posted on what your s/dealer say ! I might even mention this site ... maybe they are looking here now !!!

We have the same cut wheels on are Vauxhall antara and now 3 and a half years old . They are just starting to show the same lifting of the lacquer but not as bad as yours . It's not looking good for VW they must be looking to save money if there wheels hasn't out last a set fitted to a Vauxhall.

TBH if this is happening to a lot of the bi-colours I may ask to change to some different style ones as obviously a flaw. Are the black ones likely to go the same way?

I have been seriously considering withdrawing sportlines from the shop, the quality is just not where i would expect it to be especially on the bi colour.
Last few sets i have had from VW i have had to return/reject at least one of the four wheels for manufacturing defects (last set i swapped three) mostly pits/dents in the wheel underneath the lacquer, one wheel even had marks on the lacquer where you could clearly see someone had sanded/polished the lacquer in an attempt to buff out a mark and the wheel was still factory sealed !

I have been seriously considering withdrawing sportlines from the shop, the quality is just not where i would expect it to be for an official VW product especially on the bi colour.
Last few sets i have had from VW i have had to return/reject at least one of the four wheels for manufacturing defects (last set i swapped three) mostly pits/dents in the wheel underneath the lacquer, one wheel even had marks on the lacquer where you could clearly see someone had sanded/polished the lacquer in an attempt to buff out a mark and the wheel was still factory sealed !

I've been thinking of binning the sport lines off and going for some 18" steelys and getting them powder coated.

Tis why I went for the last generation matt black alloys, had the polished lip on Range Rover sport alloys, they lasted a good three years though.

Back