Specs of rust on MY16 T6 !!!

4ndy

T6 Pro
Hi all,

I've only had my T6 a little while (2nd owner). During my first real wash/wax I soon noticed what's best described as rust particles on my white paintwork. The vehicle is only just 1yr old FFS!!

Anyone else ever heard or experienced this on their bodywork?? #confused

I plan to take it in the main dealers tomorrow for their opinion.

Pictures to follow ;)

Think I'll take it to the dealers first before I attempt anything.

Its even in the door shuts!

If its in door shuts etc, sounds environmental, do you live near a rail line?

I wonder is someone has, at some time ,done some grinding near your van..

That was my thoughts as well, down the road from me has similar issues on a yellow car, they visit their mum who lives near a rail line.. The dust has gone all over his car and caused same..

I'd be tempted to try claying a small area, as dealer will polish it, and this will be like emery paper and produce swirl marks due to the metal particles....

Sounds like iron fallout etc from the brakes. Are they chips in the paint?

Bilt Hamber Kerosol and a pressure wash finished with clay bar.

Its normally either fallout or where a rear spoiler has been fitted, can drop onto the bumper if not cleaned properly. Easily sortable - Can you feel it, is it on top of the paintwork or within?

As above - blast with a pressure washer then very gently clay it over a small area. Even my very clean and well looked after van shows brown marks on a clay bar when used.
Sadly my faith in dealers is zero when it comes to looking after paint. In the unlikely event that it's surface corrosion, then kick their butts via VW Customer Services.

Believe us when we say that the initial attempt is better off with you doing it, to assertain if it's environmental, or actual paint problems.. You will do a better job if it's environmental than the dealer, as although it is wrong, you will take more care than someone who is not seeing a profit from the job, they will instead take the quickest method, and potentially cause more grief for you, and not do as thorough a job.. If it's sortable with a claying, and you have never (like myself) done it before, you will soon decide to do it again once you see and feel the results.. It does not take a long time to do properly either, and is very rewarding (as I found myself).

If you do want to clay, use Bilt Hamber's soft stuff - it only need water as a lube (many need a "detailing spray") and it's easy to use.
Wash the van well, make sure it's still wet and KEEP IT WET (I use a flower sprayer thingy), gently rub a flattened piece of clay in a circular motion until it feels smooth. This is where is gets slightly annoying - the clay will take any protective wax/sealant off so you need to re-seal it.
I use Dodo Supernatural Hybrid which is a very easy to apply polish AND sealant in one product.

Once done, you're van will looks ace for ages and will be much easier to clean.

Last edited:
I brought the maguires kit with 2 large clay bars in a container in it, large soft microfiber cloth, and detailing/lube spray..

Washed the car with a microfiber mitt, with a wash and wax.. Didn't dry car afterwards as no point..

Misted the area that I was working on (not the whole panel.. And don't need it soaking, just enough to glide the clay). Then wiped the excess off of panel having done the panel.. Afterwards waxed with a normal wax, went on and came off easy.. Baby bum smooth.. Lurvely...

One tip, cut off a small section of bar, and spread it out, you will have plenty in one bar.. And the spray you will use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bottle including doing the roof.. After the waxing, you have the spray for top up details, very easy, and a good cloth (wash in plain warm water, not in detergent as in washing machine). And you will have the remaining clay bar and box.

Even better than clay I've found is a clay cloth. Think mine is made by carpro and is even easier than clay to use, Def worth a go even as a beginner but I'd try fallout remover first.

Problem with clay cloths and mitts, you can't tear a bit off, use it until no clean bit left, and the. Grab another lump.. I find The clay bar most economical, and will defo do whole van incl roof without danger of re using an area that is full of contaminants..

yea I first used it to remove brake pad dust on some alloy wheels, I tried all sorts of cleaners none of which would touch it the stuff! but fallout remover removed it easy and wheels looked like new! highly recommended..

Back