Solar Panel Adhesive

Did you not put vinyl wrap down under the panels?

To help getting them off in the future?

Did you not put vinyl wrap down under the panels?

To help getting them off in the future?
Nah didn’t do that, really wanted them well fixed to the van.
Maybe should have, but hey it’s done now.
And if I do get a failure I’ll bond the replacement straight onto the top of the failed one….

I know this is more electors than glue… but here’s a warning, don’t use 30A Anderson connectors for the internal dollar connections, especially when you’ve been sold a “F-Anderson” fake.

I can’t upload a pic of the offending items at the moment.,,,

Apparently they are so picky on the crimping (I do use proper crimp tools) that the terminals just won’t stay in the housings… and the van hadn’t even moved!

stupid question . . .

but is the pin inserted the correct way around? - that had me caught out at first.

i burned my first few Anderson connectors due to poor connection.

then realised i had them inserted upside down on one or more pins.

red it correct mating surface.

green is the locking tab side that locks it inplace.

1657535686072.png
1657535727266.png

or are you talking about powerpole conectors?

No such thing as a stupid question only dumb answer? Which hopefully this isn’t!
The ones I tried are much smaller, rated at 30A, the pins only go in one way, but really don’t want to go all the way in!
The guy in my local electrical/electronic store had genuine Anderson version but told me how picky they were, even with the dedicated crimp tool & didn’t want to sell me any as the fakes I had were actually pretty good in his opinion.

I went to a well used solution & have no idea why I did use these first… it’s been fine since!

These are the troublesome ones…
image.jpg

The solution
image.jpg

Thanks Lee, great support as always.
They are the ones, look how the crimp is very neatly pressed in along the tube length… hard to achieve even with the dedicated tool, according to my local guy… who sells them.
The claimed rating was 30A but I’m under 10A
MC4 have high specs (for being outside on a house roof) but are too bulky to squeeze into the minimal gap between the insulation and van ceiling and hopefully my connections won’t encounter much in the way of snow & rain in there…
My 3 connections are the series panel link and to the solar cables down to MPPT.

The Wago lever terminals are rated to 32A at 240V and I’ve used many a time when house wiring. Just don’t understand why didn’t go straight to them.
Any how all seems reliable now… hope so as am heading to outer Hebrides at the weekend…

Back