So the van caught fire today

Bolo1972

Burned
Hi Guys
I am new to this , and wanted to now if anybody has had any issues with electrical faults on there T6 ? My T6 I purchased brand new back in January 2017 , suddenly caught fire today , and was completely burnt out within 10 mins! Total right off! Anybody had any problems?
Cheers

Someone else on here, last year I think?? had a similar incident.

I'm very sorry to hear of this incident @Bolo1972. Did you have a leisure battery fitted to the van and, if so, was it aftermarket? The reason that I ask is that there are some converters out there who don't yet understand smart alternators.

Thanks for the reply @Bolo1972 and may I suggest that you inform the Dealer and have them contact VW Technical Services as well as your insurers to ensure that there is a full investigation to identify the source of the fire. Were you driving the vehicle or was it parked after being driven? I would suggest that you document the circumstances leading up to the incident as fully as you can in addition to any statements you have made to Fire and Police. Sometimes one recalls details a little later after the initial shock has passed.

Last edited:
Gutted for you mate, not only for the loss of van but the inconveience of tools being lost too.

Thanks for the reply @Bolo1972 and may I suggest that you inform the Dealer and have them contact VW Technical Services as well as your insurers to ensure that there is a full investigation to identify the source of the fire. We're you driving the vehicle or was it parked after being driven? I would suggest that you document the circumstances leading up to the incident as fully as you can in addition to any statements you have made to Fire and Police. Sometimes one recalls details a little later after the initial shock has passed.
Fire brigade have given a full report today and given this over to my insurance. I will be contacting the dealer in the morning. Was very bizarre how it all started really . The van was locked on my friends drive , where I was working . The alarm started to go off , which it has never done before , and within seconds the cab was filled with smoke and flames. I could not open any of the doors on the key fob , only with the main key . All in all , van was fine before

Thanks @Bolo1972 . My previous advice was to ensure that there is a full technical investigation to identify the source of the fire and the cause as the manufacturer has a lot of responsibility in this area to prevent recurrence - something that Vauxhall ignored for so long with their Zafira.

Yes I totally agree. I shall be on it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice
Only too happy to try and help with detached advice to assist you find a way through the bureaucratic mess that follows incidents like this and only too sorry that you find yourself in this position. The saving grace is that you weren't driving it and that nobody has been hurt. Inconvenient though it will be, the van and tools can be replaced, people can't.

Sorry to hear that. Where in the country did it occur? Trust me when I say that when it comes to vehicle fires the FRS are not normally able to pinpoint the cause due to the devastation. It'll come down to the most likely, which if the engine is not running and no one is in the vehicle, then it's probably electrical; unless you smoke and then it'll come down to how long it was between your last tab in the van and the fire starting.
Not aware of any significant numbers of Transporters catching fire, not like Zafira's!
It'll be down to the insurance company as to whether or not they want to get a forensic fire investigation done, and they won't unless there has been a lot of them all with a similar M.O

Sorry to hear, lucky no kids or pets were in the vehicle.. Worrying that the vehicle was standard and shut down at the time.. One question is what model was it engine and box wise? And was it a Euro 5 or Euro 6?

Sorry to hear that. Where in the country did it occur? Trust me when I say that when it comes to vehicle fires the FRS are not normally able to pinpoint the cause due to the devastation. It'll come down to the most likely, which if the engine is not running and no one is in the vehicle, then it's probably electrical; unless you smoke and then it'll come down to how long it was between your last tab in the van and the fire starting.
Not aware of any significant numbers of Transporters catching fire, not like Zafira's!
It'll be down to the insurance company as to whether or not they want to get a forensic fire investigation done, and they won't unless there has been a lot of them all with a similar M.O
It was in Wiltshire. And we don't smoke

Sorry to hear, lucky no kids or pets were in the vehicle.. Worrying that the vehicle was standard and shut down at the time.. One question is what model was it engine and box wise? And was it a Euro 5 or Euro 6?
Euro 6

Mine sounds like a Lancaster Bomber taking off when in Regen mode, which is unnerving at first but I assuming its supposed to do that. Does seem like that could be one area to look at for fires out of the blue.

Hi @Bolo1972
Is there any update on the cause of fire?
I am asking as I have had the same spontaneous fire in one of my T6 and it seems like it started under the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back