Smart Charger Not Fitted After Asking For One?!

Pablo

So just about to go and pick up my van after having all my electrics fitted by a reputable camper conversion company. I initially made a point about wanting a DC battery to battery smart charger fitted and they included this in my initial quote. Having just received the final invoice it has not been included so I called them to ask why not. There answer was that it is just the T6 with adblue that require the smart charger and that they had "the tester" on mine to confirm it didn't need it. I though I had read up enough to confirm that mine would need one because it has start/stop. Can anyone help ease my mind or give me an argument to go back to them with as to why it needs one? Thanks.

Having regenerative braking and adblue don't necessarily go together. My Touareg had regenerative braking 3 years before adblue came out. Besides, if you specified it then should have fitted it.

Adblue or not all T6 have smart alternators that require a dc dc charger to properly charge a second battery, don’t get me wrong a split charge relay will work (that’s how VW do it on factory fit second batteries/California’s etc) but the leisure batt will never fully charge and with nothing in between the engine batt and leisure batt (other than a relay) you are sending that variable voltage to the leisure battery and are inhibited by the 80% charge pattern of the engine battery
If you asked for it and got a price for it then personally I would hold them too it and get them to fit it for the original price they quoted

Okay thanks for the quick replys guys. To be fair they removed the price from the original quote but I'd be more keen to pay and have it. Will call them in the morning to see if they can get one fitted.

My T6 is euro 5 and has a smart alternator so I need a battery to battery charger!
I wonder what (tester) they used!!!!!
If you buy a cigarette lighter volt meter from eBay and take the van for a drive you will see how much the voltage fluctuates

Back