Slow to heat up

Not sure about these readings. You have 410 ohms difference between the readings on T8s pins 3 and 4 on T8s ??? Should be around 2 ohms; i.e. the resistance of the elements. They also infer that element Z6 is 20 ohms ????
You’re right - just pulled the elements out of the car T8s Pins 2->3 is 11.23k and Pins 2->4 is around the same. The resistance figures are reducing rapidly as I’ve just taken the elements from cold van into warm house. The back element on it‘s own is 0.9 ohms.

I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and buy a new seat control module. The one I had was new, but from a colleague who hadn’t used it. It’s the only part of the equation that I can’t vouch for 100%. Thanks for all your help and patience @Dilbert , @Grim Reaper , @Robert . Hopefully positive updates in a couple of days!

Is the seat heat controller a Separate module? Does it need enabling in the main scheme of things?
I have heard of lower level model (startline) control modules not being able to associate with sub modules that were only available on higher spec vehicles (highline) modules.

I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and buy a new seat control module. The one I had was new, but from a colleague who hadn’t used it. It’s the only part of the equation that I can’t vouch for 100%. Thanks for all your help and patience @Dilbert , @Grim Reaper , @Robert . Hopefully positive updates in a couple of days!
Can you post your complete unedited VCDS Autoscan?

Is the seat heat controller a Separate module? Does it need enabling in the main scheme of things?
I have heard of lower level model (startline) control modules not being able to associate with sub modules that were only available on higher spec vehicles (highline) modules.
My van is a Highline anyway. I’ve checked via VCDS and there isn’t an option to enable heated seats

J774
Screenshot_20210222-122752_Office.jpg

I read on the Ross Tech forums someone said to take the plug out of the socket on the BCM and see if there is actually a pin in there for the heated seats (a big one to cope with the current required) as it may not be there on some versions of the BCM.

I read on the Ross Tech forums someone said to take the plug out of the socket on the BCM and see if there is actually a pin in there for the heated seats (a big one to cope with the current required) as it may not be there on some versions of the BCM.
Thanks. I've checked that I have a 12v feed from the BCM Pin 36 to Pin 2 of the 8 pin connector that the Seat Module connects to, so there must be a Pin in the BCM

Is this 12v there all the time or just when you turn the seats on?
I’ve checked the J774 8 pin multi plug and I have 12v to pins 3 and 6. Pin 7 (earth) is 0.1 ohms. Pin 2 from BCM has 12v and the seat connections 4 and 8 show continuity to the correct side. Pressing the seat buttons show 12v to pins 4 and 8, switching seats off show 0v.

I've ordered a new module - arriving tomorrow

I think I would have tried putting a reasonable current draw across the T8s pins 3 & 4 (something like a headlight bulb) to see if it can supply the required oomph to light it

I think I would have tried putting a reasonable current draw across the T8s pins 3 & 4 (something like a headlight bulb) to see if it can supply the required oomph to light it

Would be worth a go but may not be 100% conclusive because of the feedback from the thermistor to T8s pin 2. Might also need a 10K ohm resistor between T8s pins 2 and 3 to be sure.

So, with much trepidation I arrived at the VW dealer to collect the new Seat Module. Tested the old version before I went in and had 13v at Pin 2 and nothing at Pin 4.

Collected new Seat Module, plugged it in, switched seats on and could almost instantly feel heat as I was putting the multimeter prongs near the connectors. Pin 2 had13v, as did Pin 4 with the seats on :) - the wife will be happy, even if this 'plug and play' has caused me sleepless nights!

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed, esp: @Dilbert and @Robert.

I am resurrecting this old thread relating to how slow T6's are to warm up ad I am convinced mines not right!
I have noticed that it does take a while to heat up which is fair enough due to being an EU6 unit with a pretty sizable cooling system, but it was -1.5 degrees this morning and after 8 miles of gentle driving I decided that I was still cold from the pathetically oil air being blown at me, as a consequence of the coolant temperature having only risen to approx 60 degrees.
I turned on the secondary heater in the rear of the van in the hope that this may increase my conform levels but the temp needle fell to its minimum position and only rose to about 60 degrees by the time I arrived at work 6 miles later. Total trip was 14 miles. (1/2 hour of B roads)
When I arrived the engine did not cut as normal (Via stop start) and I happened to receive a phone call and failed to turn the engine off. (Naughty me, Greta would have whinged at me!)
The temp fell to the level shown below whilst I was on my call.
DC64E560-B2C1-4052-B8DE-F639C2CE7587.jpeg87F63DEC-039E-4394-9C3D-B2A7BD849385.jpeg

I checked the live engine data on Carista and watched the engine temp continue to fall to 46 degrees whilst the engine remained at idle:
285D0DE1-2781-4494-AFBB-BD044090A982.pngThis is a T6.1 204.
I would welcome any feedback regarding whether or not this is all normal?

Last edited:
If the temperature falls, then this would suggest a faulty thermostat. The thermostat is there to hold it at the normal 90deg.

Last edited:
If the temperature falls, then this would suggest a faulty thermostat. The thermostat it there to hold it at the normal 90deg.
I agree that this is a potential thermostat fault, but the vehicle is brand new and will heat up and stay at 90 degrees ok after say 20 miles of harder driving.
I just wondered if the following could possible be considered normal?:

• Drive van very gingerly due to icy roads. (Its cold at -1.5 degrees) with main cab heater running at full whack since starting van and drive 8 (Flattish) miles.
  • Auxiliary heater turned on at 8 miles causing coolant temperature to plummet and drove further 4 miles.
  • At 14 miles coolant was starting to heat up (Around 70 deg) but on stopping and idling the coolant temp gently reduced to 46 degrees.

The reason that i ask again is that I am unsure if I have a fault due to the coolant beginning to heat up until it was stopped.
Are you fairly confident that the summary of temperatures is abnormal, given that it was very cold driving conditions and that the van had an easy 14 mile trip?

I've noticed on my 204 engine. (T6)

If you leave it ticking over from cold.... It will stay cold as ice.

It's only when you start driving that it will warm up and site a 90C.

These engines have a crazy complicated cooling system.

Back