Sliding-door handle (exterior) - loose

nick gillard

VIP Member
Hello all, odd one, driver side side loading door handle has gone sort of floppy?

Has anyone else had this and possibly how did you fix it / what was needed....
Thanks in advance
Nick

Side door door handle - seems a bit "slack"

is it possible to to tighten up the handle at all? or do would i need to replace it?

It seems like some one has pulled it overly hard a few times and the mechanism just seems a bit slack/lose like u would expect on a 10 year old van and not 2

thanks for your help

You can adjust the `pull` cable from the handle. I think its on a plastic ratchet and can be adjusted so the handle does not come off the door as much. If you pull the handle you should see the cable on the lever.

Has anyone had any success fixing their slack sliding door handles? Mine has a lot of up/down play - is it a case of tightening something or is a new mechanism required?

Does anyone know if adjustment can be made at the hinge end of the handle, mines getting a bit loose, don't know if these a pin in there or if its just sitting in a plastic coupler?

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 15.40.15.png

Hi,
Hoping someone can advise...

I just noticed today that the door handle (on the outside) on my sliding door, (not powered) is quite loose. The van is now out of warranty, so looking for a fix I can do myself. I am not sure if there is something which can be tightened inside the door or would a new handle be best. Could the moving parts of the handle which sit inside the door be worn?

I have read numerous threads on this forum and on the California owners forum on owners with the same problem, but unfortunately no mention of what the fix is.

Any help very much appreciated.

Hi,
Hoping someone can advise...

I just noticed today that the door handle (on the outside) on my sliding door, (not powered) is quite loose. The van is now out of warranty, so looking for a fix I can do myself. I am not sure if there is something which can be tightened inside the door or would a new handle be best. Could the moving parts of the handle which sit inside the door be worn?

I have read numerous threads on this forum and on the California owners forum on owners with the same problem, but unfortunately no mention of what the fix is.

Any help very much appreciated.
Usually a rubber grommet on edge of door next to handle, remove it and tighten screw.

I took the outside handle off today to try and get a better understanding and see if there was anything obvious. Everything looks ok, and the plastic parts of the handle which go into the door were not worn. Its still loose though :(.

Thanks Big Al. Can you point to the position of the grommet and the screw on this diagram, as I would like to try your fix.Outside Handle.jpg

Only other thought i had was that the spring shown in the below diagram (top of unit) may have become stretched due to over exuberant young door openers.

Inside Handle.JPG

Open to any suggestions on fix. Thanks

Ok, further update... I tried taking the door latch on the inside off, taking off the mounting screws etc... but couldn't get it to come out. So rather than break something, I put it back together and had a rethink...

From what I can see the part (outer handle) shown with the arrow below, is made from one piece of plastic and when you pull on the handle this hooks onto a metal part in the mechanism and opens the door latch. I think the fact the plastic is bearing on metal may have caused wear to the plastic and as a result there is play in the handle. So I think my next step, is to order a new handle, fit it and see if there is less play in the handle.

Anyone know where I can get a new handle via mail order? My nearest VW parts store is an hours drive away.

Outside Handle amended.jpg

I’ve never been a fan of plastic “working” on metal for this reason. I’m not sure I can help but I admire that you made an effort to research and investigate before posting. Little people hanging off the handle is prompting me to look at a “power latching” retrofit.

One option could be to ask @Pauly to look up the part number for you. He will need your VIN. He helped me with the part number for the rear numberplate light unit for my Cali

My sliding door handle feels slightly loose
(It did break when the pin felt out, common problem)
When I was at VW vans, Preston I asked and they said the mechanism inside is made of cheap metal and it ‘cracks’
To be fair he said they’d fix it but I’d have to do without the van for a day so I haven’t had it done
Be interesting to see if the new handle fixes yours as I’d do the same to mine

I think mine was similar .. operation feeling slack in pulling the outside handle to open the slider... woe and behold pulled up in Ilfracombe this week just arrived for few days camping and door failed in a car park.. failed to a point where the door would not shut closed and therefore undriveable .. had to call RAC who stripped off the door card and diagnosed that the operating handle mechanism wire link to the rear lock clasp was under tension and preventing door shutting .. temporary fix to disconnect the wire link and apply a tie wrap grab handle only operates from the inside though .. unable to open the slider from the outside... not too good when you’re camping .. had to have the grab handle mechanism replaced .. not a cheap job part is 200 from VW + 2hrs garage labour ... then sender gauge stuck on empty low fuel light on after parking on very steep gradient street with 1/2 tank full .. only released after filling full .. not the best trip away ... German VW still. questionable for me along with other previous in warranty jobs

Today my handle is lose and all the internals are in the bottom of the door and can no longer open the door apart from reaching through passenger door :(

Back