Skyline SkyLo Roof

Amazing photos mate, much more informative than anything on the actual website. You've made me feel more reassured that booking my SkyLow for installation in the new year was a good idea.

A couple of things I wanted to ask,

1. It looks like you got the Bifold bed? Are the gas struts that sit on the underside of the bed obviously visible when the bed is down? Does this bother you? Do you even notice it? A picture of the underside would be greatly appreciated.

2. I see you went for a grey scenic canvas, how do you find it? Where you tempted with any other colours at all? I'm still undecided about my canvas colour. My T6.1 is gonna be Indium grey and was thinking burgendy might look cool - but do you think that would be too dark?

3. I absolutely love your wheels, great to see some 18s looking so good. I'm thinking of going 18s myself, again for reasons same as you. What size tire are you running and is your bus a T32? (rating of wheels etc)

Thank you so much for sharing all this amazingly useful information

@Ashok2429, on the last photo it shows a sliding hatch cover. can you post a few more pics of it in place - withdrawn. thanks.

Amazing photos mate, much more informative than anything on the actual website. You've made me feel more reassured that booking my SkyLow for installation in the new year was a good idea.

A couple of things I wanted to ask,

1. It looks like you got the Bifold bed? Are the gas struts that sit on the underside of the bed obviously visible when the bed is down? Does this bother you? Do you even notice it? A picture of the underside would be greatly appreciated.

2. I see you went for a grey scenic canvas, how do you find it? Where you tempted with any other colours at all? I'm still undecided about my canvas colour. My T6.1 is gonna be Indium grey and was thinking burgendy might look cool - but do you think that would be too dark?

3. I absolutely love your wheels, great to see some 18s looking so good. I'm thinking of going 18s myself, again for reasons same as you. What size tire are you running and is your bus a T32? (rating of wheels etc)

Thank you so much for sharing all this amazingly useful information

So the struts are definitely visible on the underside, but I wouldn’t say they bother me as they tuck tightly up against the frame. I think even if you went for the standard bed you would still have one strut there. The bi-fold really changes the available space towards the rear, I think having it standard, just hinged at the back really compromises the headroom almost long the entire length.

On the canvas haven’t had much time to spend with it but it does allow the light in which is good. We went for a lighter colour to try and help with keeping it cool in summer. The canvas colours are the same as the Aurora so maybe see if you can find picks of the grey/burgundy combo.

On the wheels, it’s a T32 so they are fully load rated. I’ve got 255/45’s on which have the req. 103 load rating.

Here’s a couple more pics of the underside and of the sliding cover for you @dubLU

82802C6B-7CA0-4E60-90BE-92C55D2C7879.jpeg
BD41CF17-E3A3-4A06-99C4-813277ABA7D8.jpeg
A29846EA-4074-422C-BB41-7482843E7278.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you so much Ashok!

Very kind of you to share your thoughts on images on the SkyLow. I'm 100% satisfied with my decision to go ahead with one now.
Cheers again!

Thank you for the pics, looks sweet. Really wish my bed was bifold, My DIY Franken-hatch-covers are hiding there heads in shame. Gonna have to campfire them and start work on version 5.

Thank you so much Ashok!

Very kind of you to share your thoughts on images on the SkyLow. I'm 100% satisfied with my decision to go ahead with one now.
Cheers again!

Anytime mate, this forum has been a godsend when making decisions on all the other stuff for my van so happy to help.

It’s only early days for mine, but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed about that decision to go the SkyLow route.

I have Indium with a burgundy classic Skyline poptop. I love it! Reasonably dark inside but you can open the front window to let light in and is actually useful in the early mornings to block some of the sunlight.

I have Indium with a burgundy classic Skyline poptop. I love it! Reasonably dark inside but you can open the front window to let light in and is actually useful in the early mornings to block some of the sunlight.
Fantastic news!! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you very much @JB26413 really appreciate your reassuring words. Cheers mate

@Ashok2429 I forgot to ask - how much have you dropped your T32 by? The stance on those 18s with the 254/45 tire fills the arch perfectly.

Hey, so I believe they are about 50mm or so, not all the way down. It’s on original B14’s, and I had some 15mm spacers put on the rears to bring them out to the arch edge. The lads at Bognor setup the stance and did a spot on job!

So the struts are definitely visible on the underside, but I wouldn’t say they bother me as they tuck tightly up against the frame. I think even if you went for the standard bed you would still have one strut there. The bi-fold really changes the available space towards the rear, I think having it standard, just hinged at the back really compromises the headroom almost long the entire length.

On the canvas haven’t had much time to spend with it but it does allow the light in which is good. We went for a lighter colour to try and help with keeping it cool in summer. The canvas colours are the same as the Aurora so maybe see if you can find picks of the grey/burgundy combo.

On the wheels, it’s a T32 so they are fully load rated. I’ve got 255/45’s on which have the req. 103 load rating.

Here’s a couple more pics of the underside and of the sliding cover for you @dubLU

View attachment 134473
View attachment 134474
View attachment 134475
Looks great @Ashok2429 .

If you get a mo, can you let me know what the head height is right at the rear by the bi-fold. We are looking at putting a kitchen pod in the back of ours, and would love to have enough room for the missus to stand up there! She is only 5ft.....

I know some put in a reverse pop top for the layout we are considering, but all the reverse ones look massive compared to the SkyLo.

Thanks

Looks great @Ashok2429 .

If you get a mo, can you let me know what the head height is right at the rear by the bi-fold. We are looking at putting a kitchen pod in the back of ours, and would love to have enough room for the missus to stand up there! She is only 5ft.....

I know some put in a reverse pop top for the layout we are considering, but all the reverse ones look massive compared to the SkyLo.

Thanks

Sure thing, so right at the back of the bi-fold you’ve got 155cm (just over 5ft) from the floor and then it edges up from there. My floor is also raised about 25mm for the rock and roll on tracks so depending on what you do on the floor you might have a little bit extra to play with.

Hope this helps

Sure thing, so right at the back of the bi-fold you’ve got 155cm (just over 5ft) from the floor and then it edges up from there. My floor is also raised about 25mm for the rock and roll on tracks so depending on what you do on the floor you might have a little bit extra to play with.

Hope this helps
Thanks pal, much appreciated.

Hey @Ashok2429
Now that the dust has settled on your SkyLow installation I was wondering if you've got any further options or thoughts on it?

I don't suppose you've had much of an opportunity to use it in anger for camping etc, but just generally - I'm curious to know has it been well behaved as a 'roof'

Any noises or (dare I say) leakages? Any thing bugs you about it, or continously delights you about it?

Still very limited information out there on the SkyLow so I'm very curious to hear your thoughts. My installation is booked in for April 2022.

My last post on the Skylow subject was back in September after visiting the Skyline stand at BUSFEST when we were deliberating between the Aurora and Skylow. After BUSFEST we had all but decided to go with the Skylow roof and since then we have been to visit Skyline at Langford HQ and seen first hand the processes that the guys go through at the factory which for me was great when Im asking someone to cut the top of my van :thumbsup:. We were happy with everything we saw and placed our order.
Albeit with a couple of compromises - the full range of canvas colours are not available for the Skylow, due to the low profile of the roof they fit a Topnotch 9 Canvas with the Skylow, which has a limited colour range. The second compromise was with the roof rails on our van - the Sklylow does not accommodate the refitting of roof rails. For us this was an aesthetics things rather than function - if you plan on having a top-box or surf board on roof rails then the Skylow isn't for you.
We are booked in to have our Skylow fitted in the first week of February 2022 - we are so excited as this is our first van and the first major part of our conversion - look forward to posting some photos after the roof is fitted :grin bounce:

Hey @Ashok2429
Now that the dust has settled on your SkyLow installation I was wondering if you've got any further options or thoughts on it?

I don't suppose you've had much of an opportunity to use it in anger for camping etc, but just generally - I'm curious to know has it been well behaved as a 'roof'

Any noises or (dare I say) leakages? Any thing bugs you about it, or continously delights you about it?

Still very limited information out there on the SkyLow so I'm very curious to hear your thoughts. My installation is booked in for April 2022.

Hey,

Sorry about the long time to reply! So not had a chance to sleep out in it yet. Planning something in Feb as the first outing.

So a few months in, still super happy with it. No leaks at all so far and we had pretty grim weather through December. The roof did develop a bit of squeak/creak on the front edge after it rained which has worsened in the cold. However I applied some silicone spray lube across the front edge strip and the edges, and noise completely gone. Been a few weeks and still silent so only time will tell how often I’ll need to re-apply.

So all in all still a happy camper, and hoping to get some good use out of it this year!

Looks great. That's my decision made for me. Also was about to get some new wheels, wasn't sold on the 18" till I saw them pics. Pot hole city where I live. Ordering now :)

Back