Side glass protection combi

StudleyGlass

150 DSG Kombi/Caravelle/Air-ride
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just thought it would be worth mentioning about the protection rubber strips that "should" be fitted to the edge of the side windows on a combi. The amount i see without them including new at the dealers today is amazing.
There there for a reason as most things are, being toughened glass the edge of the glass is the weakest spot and with not much of a impact will make the glass exploded in to small pieces as it should for safety. When the glass is toughened it is approx 25% stronger + the added bonus that it breaks into small pieces not large shards that will do you serious injury.
Anyway before i bore you all even more make sure you have them fitted as it can save you a lot of hassle!pixlr_20170113164043779.jpg

Just thought it would be worth mentioning about the protection rubber strips that "should" be fitted to the edge of the side windows on a combi. The amount i see without them including new at the dealers today is amazing.
There there for a reason as most things are, being toughened glass the edge of the glass is the weakest spot and with not much of a impact will make the glass exploded in to small pieces as it should for safety. When the glass is toughened it is approx 25% stronger + the added bonus that it breaks into small pieces not large shards that will do you serious injury.
Anyway before i bore you all even more make sure you have them fitted as it can save you a lot of hassle!View attachment 4111
I thought this was a new thing @StudleyGlass .my old kombi didn't have them .

Oh dont no about on a T5 @carlg maybe they were just missing as the parts guy comment today was we dont fit them or take them off :unsure:

Mine kept peeling off when I first had the van, kept stopping to push them back on. I thought they were temporary factory things as I have never seen them on the T5. Thanks for the info @StudleyGlass , glad I left them on now.

I don't think there were any on our '63 reg T5 Kombi but there are on the '66 reg. Both of these have the rear windows fitted now but the newer van still has the plastic trims fitted, maybe I'll take them off eventually.
@StudleyGlass perhaps your van came from the same van centre at Droitwich as ours and they don't take the trims off at PDI time?

Rod

Mine kept peeling off when I first had the van, kept stopping to push them back on. I thought they were temporary factory things as I have never seen them on the T5. Thanks for the info @StudleyGlass , glad I left them on now.

There are two versions i think, 1st loan T6 combi i had they fell off on the way home, they were just like a U channel pushed over the end of the glass. I stuck them back on with a couple of knobs of clear silicone. The trims on my new combi are different they are a L shape with a proper adhesive strip on them, much better in my view.

I don't think there were any on our '63 reg T5 Kombi but there are on the '66 reg. Both of these have the rear windows fitted now but the newer van still has the plastic trims fitted, maybe I'll take them off eventually.
@StudleyGlass perhaps your van came from the same van centre at Droitwich as ours and they don't take the trims off at PDI time?

Rod

Yes mine came from droitwich lister van center. I take everything they say with a pinch of salt ;)

Hi, does anyone have a link for the side window protection trims as I'm struggling to find something suitable.
thanks

Back