Shuttle or Transporter

Carbon13

T6 Pro
I'm planning on a conversion to a camper on as new a T6 Transporter LWB Highline or Trendline 102hp as my 20k budget will allow, then allowing 15k for a quality roof and interior to my exacting specs, I'd have the ecu done by Pendle.

In planning I keep coming back to the Shuttle however, they are generally a little older and have slightly higher mileages but are already fully glazed, generally 140hp/6 speed, guaranteed tailgate, come with stock alloys and I like the idea of sliders at both sides.

There are three convertors within 50 miles who I have shortlisted for their quality and price, I've seen the work of one and it is very high (father and son business), another has been recommended by the local VW dealer and a mate with a T3 (v small enthusiast business) and a third is known nationally.

Having been in contact with all three there is a broad reluctance to convert the Shuttle although they all say they can, some say its the roof that's the issue, others that custom furniture is needed due to the extra door or that the time involved with dealing with something other than a stock Transporter means extra £.

Is it really such a big deal for a convertor ? or should I stick with a Transporter, your opinions and experience is welcome.

A panel van is generally a blank canvas for them, all other variants will require removal of equipment and if it has rear ventilation/heating then the pipe work and connections require removing which is time consuming so costing more in labour. Most converters prefer either a panel van or kombi van. There are twin slider conversions out there but I believe the units will be more complicated to manufacture so adding a few ££s. We have a Kombi as we are using it as a car until it gets converted and will be selling the extra seats and fittings when it goes in. Good luck

I'm planning on a conversion to a camper on as new a T6 Transporter LWB Highline or Trendline 102hp as my 20k budget will allow, then allowing 15k for a quality roof and interior to my exacting specs, I'd have the ecu done by Pendle.

In planning I keep coming back to the Shuttle however, they are generally a little older and have slightly higher mileages but are already fully glazed, generally 140hp/6 speed, guaranteed tailgate, come with stock alloys and I like the idea of sliders at both sides.

There are three convertors within 50 miles who I have shortlisted for their quality and price, I've seen the work of one and it is very high (father and son business), another has been recommended by the local VW dealer and a mate with a T3 (v small enthusiast business) and a third is known nationally.

Having been in contact with all three there is a broad reluctance to convert the Shuttle although they all say they can, some say its the roof that's the issue, others that custom furniture is needed due to the extra door or that the time involved with dealing with something other than a stock Transporter means extra £.

Is it really such a big deal for a convertor ? or should I stick with a Transporter, your opinions and experience is welcome.
Don't know much about converting them but I went for a Transporter (tailgate) , I wanted a blank canvas and wheels etc were coming off anyway, I also prefer the windows I have rather than the VW ones and personally wanted one without a rear window. Would not be swayed by the windows not that pricey to fit good ones.

I'd go for a newer van with less miles and blank canvas and get it exactly how the van will work for you rather than making a van intended for something else into something else, I guess same can be said about a Transporter though!

Good Luck

Nick

Depends on your conversion - but for many layouts the twin slider is redundant.
I looked at this and couldn't see any advantage of a shuttle if you were doing a significant conversion. A Kombi is a better starting point and Kombis have tailgates and you can get twin sliders if you really want.

Thanks for the replies, common sense tells me to stick with a Transporter and you've steered me back onto that path.

Back