Should I buy this ex-RAC T6 for £12k?

whittm

T6 Pro
Hi all,

Used to own a 2006 t5 and converted it myself. Sold it years ago for a modest profit due to a change in circumstances. Still have brilliant memories of it. So, was hankering after a t5.1. As you do, I've just been browsing various classifieds.
A 2016 66 reg ex Rac van with 200,000 miles(yes that's not a typo!) has come up locally. I've been to see it. It needs drop links, heatshield for exhaust, tailgate locks need repairing and only works from inside by pulling some string, and there's some scrapes here and there, plus some surface rust where the door slams are. Seats are immaculate as is the rest of the body work.
Looked under the filler caps and all looked good, except some white mayonaise around the oil filler cap inside. He said it was normal on these, i smelt bs, but then checked on here and saw that it was common on these engines. I had it started from cold, engine settled down within 5 seconds and no smoke or leaks.
It still has all the gubbins from RAC inside(racking and internal lights).
Here's my question, this is the cheapest t6 I have ever seen at £12k including vat, am I mad even considering to buy this? I would be selling my mint 55k mile honda civic estate to fund it!

If it’s got service history… I say go for it. Sounds like you’re up for a project…. I’m sure it’ll be a blast!

What kind of spec is it? Things like A/C, cruise control, etc might be deal breakers.

I get the same oil filter cap mayonnaise. Not sure if it’s ok…. Hope so.

I agree that its cheap - relatively speaking - and if you're going to be in it for the long haul, have little interest in residuals and are going to do fairly low mileage then why not, however if you're going to get cold feet after a few months and want to sell it on you might find potential future buyers put off by that sort of mileage.

What’s your “mint 55k Honda Civic” worth? It will keep going forever, but has none of the iconic value or versatility of a VW van. You won’t get £12k for it though

It's got Aircon but no cruise, has reversing camera setup. He's waiting on the service history, so he says. The Honda is in a good spec, it's worth about £12.5k. We do about 15k miles a year.

Apparently cruise control is a simple retro fit and costs about £250.

Apparently cruise control is a simple retro fit and costs about £250.
Yes you will get OEM cruise on the indicator stalk for under £300.

200k miles might be ok if you aren’t going to put a lot of miles on it, but at 15k per year you need to be prepared to have some mechanical wear and tear bills for a van of that life. So long as you go in to that eyes open then I would go for it. It’s impossible to say what the bills might be though, but I’m thinking clutch/DMF alone at £1500 and there are a few other jobs that will easily add up.

Just curious, does it have the earlier euro 5 engine? Which I think is a well respected lump?

Hmmm, strange that you should say that, but I sold a set of these that I banded out 50mm, to a mate. Was thinking to powder coat some nice blue colour. Not sure Mrs would be happy with that?

Very popular wheel to band. Either way, they’ll scrub up nicely

Back