Semi Flexi Solar-panel failures?

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have recently decided that a Flexi panel with a rear facing junction box is what I want on my pop top. The Photonic Universe 180w is the one I’ve chosen but I have recently heard some bad reports about this particular panel and was wondering if any members have any experience of this particular rear junction panel. Good or bad.

I have now seen salty spuds excellent solution but this is not an option for me. I can’t afford even an extra couple of centimetres so my only option is the flat semi flex panels directly on the roof. Are the bad shortened life comments aimed at at all semi flex panels generally or just the rear junction box type. This will affect my decision as the one I want with the rear junction box is nearly three times the price.

I have one of the earliest (i.e. not black) 250w rear junction box models from photonics universe and it’s been trouble free for over four years.

Having said that, I’m not expecting it to last forever and it’ll be a right PITA to replace!

I have one of the earliest (i.e. not black) 250w rear junction box models from photonics universe and it’s been trouble free for over four years.

Having said that, I’m not expecting it to last forever and it’ll be a right PITA to replace!
Appreciated t0mb0: Sounds like a risk worth taking

I’ve just inspected a van with two fitted both failed just after one year, no warranty, fitting looked ok, replaced one with a rigid panel from a decent make

I've got 4x 100w lensun panels that I run mobile. They live outside, had them couple of years.... No issues.

I have a Renogy 160w one and 2x PU 110w ones stuck to solar shed roof...again couple of years... No issues so far.

If you get good quality panels they should last a long time.... Esspecialy in the UK as we have such little sun to bake them with heat cycles.

More info :

My PU 250w panel was still performing faultlessly after 4.5 years when I sold my van. It wasn't the one with the control box underneath the panel though, maybe that's the type to be avoided?

My PU 250w panel was still performing faultlessly after 4.5 years when I sold my van. It wasn't the one with the control box underneath the panel though, maybe that's the type to be avoided?
All other things being equal, I would expect a back box version to be marginally more reliable given the box and connections are not exposed to the elements (and parking height bars!).

All other things being equal, I would expect a back box version to be marginally more reliable given the box and connections are not exposed to the elements (and parking height bars!).
That would be my thinking to.

I've just worked out my 180W Semi-Flexible Round Rear Junction Box solar panel (made in Germany) has failed exactly a year after purchase. (I purchased this panel to replace the exact same type which also failed a year after buying van - the van was two years old so I think the first one lasted possibly 3 years).
I'm just checking with Photonic Universe to see if they'll replace under the 12 month warranty but I'm literally 2 days past 12 months! Let's hope they're kind to me!
My guess is these units are overheating being stuck straight onto the roof with no vents underneath, but who knows?

I've just worked out my 180W Semi-Flexible Round Rear Junction Box solar panel (made in Germany) has failed exactly a year after purchase. (I purchased this panel to replace the exact same type which also failed a year after buying van - the van was two years old so I think the first one lasted possibly 3 years).
I'm just checking with Photonic Universe to see if they'll replace under the 12 month warranty but I'm literally 2 days past 12 months! Let's hope they're kind to me!
My guess is these units are overheating being stuck straight onto the roof with no vents underneath, but who knows?
How was it stuck to the roof....? Got any pics?

Some of the installer guides say that the dips should be filled in,... To the same height as the ridges.

Maybe that helps with thermal expansion?

Either way, having vinyl on the roof will help future removal and save the paint work.

I had both 100w Lensun flexible panels replaced under warranty (24mnth) recently..... And used the opportunity to upgrade to 150w. (Note these were mobile and not stuck to anything)

And I've got 3x panel's on the solar shed,,,,that have been up there for years and still working fine ( a mix of Renogy and photonic universe)

How was it stuck to the roof....? Got any pics?

Some of the installer guides say that the dips should be filled in,... To the same height as the ridges.

Maybe that helps with thermal expansion?

Either way, having vinyl on the roof will help future removal and save the paint work.

I had both 100w Lensun flexible panels replaced under warranty (24mnth) recently..... And used the opportunity to upgrade to 150w. (Note these were mobile and not stuck to anything)

And I've got 3x panel's on the solar shed,,,,that have been up there for years and still working fine ( a mix of Renogy and photonic universe)
HI @Dellmassive , Getting the faulty panel off again is where the fun will be! I thought 'lightning won't strike twice' and have probably gone completely overboard with Sikaflex to glue it on. Need to have a good think about approach to removing.

I've got an SCA pop roof so flat fibreglass to attach the panel. I've sealed all around the panel to stop any water getting in but this also means no air to cool underneath.

I really like the look of my panel but not sure I can risk a 3rd go so might try a different manufacturer next!

Solar panel 1.jpg

Solar panel 2.jpg

Can I just add in a thought on this. I know a lot of people (and I probably would have been included in these) but the panels that are all black, as they look better. But I was doing a bit of reading last week and found that the more silver (light coloured) the panels are the more efficient they are as they reflect from these areas that don't generate electricity so the temps are cooler. I now think this would be better for the panels staying cooler and longer lasting on the van roofs.

Here are my shed panels etc... For reference.

Victron mppt,

And SLA battery.

20220814_133436.jpg20220814_133425.jpg20220814_133349.jpg20220814_133333.jpg20220814_133329.jpg

The single Renogy 160w is actually a white panel,.... But I sprayed the white edges black so it blended in to the roof better.

Update on my solar panel. The very good people at Photonic Universe (big shout out to Tom) agreed to replace my dud semi-flexible panel under warranty. It was exactly a year old so could have refused.
Getting the old one off the roof was a right PITA as I’d gone crazy with Sikaflex last time I changed it. The answer was to use a windscreen removing tool which eventually cut through the Sikaflex.

0A402575-8BD9-4F7C-81C9-F664D14A2473.jpeg

New one now fitted and this time with much less Sikaflex. I’ve decided to leave an air gap of about 3mm and only seal off the leading edge so hopefully it won’t get as hot as the previous one did and last a bit longer. Fingers crossed.

Update on my solar panel. The very good people at Photonic Universe (big shout out to Tom) agreed to replace my dud semi-flexible panel under warranty. It was exactly a year old so could have refused.
Getting the old one off the roof was a right PITA as I’d gone crazy with Sikaflex last time I changed it. The answer was to use a windscreen removing tool which eventually cut through the Sikaflex.

View attachment 170460

New one now fitted and this time with much less Sikaflex. I’ve decided to leave an air gap of about 3mm and only seal off the leading edge so hopefully it won’t get as hot as the previous one did and last a bit longer. Fingers crossed.
I am in same sit. Got a free replacement and need to get old one off. Not convinced that replacement will last I am seriously thinking about fixing new panel straight on top of old panel.

I've also had a Photonics Universe 200w Rear Junction box panel fail. Just over a year. Bit of a patteren forming here.

This looks good at £189 and with a 5 year warranty too.

It's hard to justify risking another Photonics Universe Rear Junction Box panel at £400+.

I'm sure I could live with a couple of exposed cables I'll probably never see.

I've also had a Photonics Universe 200w Rear Junction box panel fail. Just over a year. Bit of a patteren forming here.

This looks good at £189 and with a 5 year warranty too.

It's hard to justify risking another Photonics Universe Rear Junction Box panel at £400+.

I'm sure I could live with a couple of exposed cables I'll probably never see.
There have been a few folks struggling to get support from Renogy recently. I've clicked on your link & can't find a UK contact or address anywhere on the webpage.

Caveat Emptor

Back