Selling Up.

Veema

Teaching Assistant
T6 Guru
I've had enough...just set up in the rain again...freezing cold, wet through and the flaming eberspacher isn't working.

So if anyone fancies it, give me a shout (I will get the eberspacher repaired).

Vx

Oh dear @Veema you’ve not had a lot of luck with the van, but still reckon it’s gotta be better than a caravan.
Is it possible that you have just not been picking the best weather to be doing it? Why not get along to one of the Forum camping meets (CamperJam, Busfest, Bala etc) before casting it all aside. See if we can change your mind.

Everthing is just hard work...apart from the towing, the caravan was much easier, more spacious and warm!

Don't give up yet :)

I didn't think there was a lot to go wrong with the Eberspachers?? Apologies in advance if its a silly question but have you definitely got plenty of diesel in the tank (I understand the fuel off take for the heater is positioned such that once you drop below around a 1/4 of a tank it is unable to draw fuel - safety margin to ensure you can still drive off the next day).

Being in the Caravan industry most of my life, I've seen these situations loads of times.
Caravan to motorhome, motorhome to Caravan, either to a camper, and sadly rarely does the move to something else win.
I love my T6, but own a large Motorhome for touring, plus used a Caravan for years before we went MH, so I totally understand your predicament. All i'd say if you've made your mind up, is to not let a dealer take the pee with your T6. The market for T6 campers is far stronger than my industry, and private sales are a lot easier with a VW.
I hope you give the T6 another chance once the sun pops out, but if not, stay away from dealers if you need to sell up, because they might take advantage of this situation.

Good luck

I just miss the luxury of my lovely caravan, but even if I did go back to a caravan, it would have to be something much smaller than we had, so wouldn't be the same anyway. I don't think we get the use out of it either.

@Tourershine the reason we changed from the caravan to the camper was because my husband died and I didn't think I'd be able to manage the caravan on my own...this was the next best thing but it's hard work. I partly wish I'd gone for the slightly bigger Peugeot motor home type which is more of a caravan layout inside...but they just aren't cool.

I'm just fed up of being on my hands and knees getting stuff out of the cupboards or banging my head on the roof.

is your eber under warranty?
Yes...but that doesn't help right now. Going to buy a small heater today just to get us through the next couple of days...then I want it completely changing...this is the third trip away and the third time it hasn't worked...each time it goes back in and is apparently working ok...

Yes...but that doesn't help right now. Going to buy a small heater today just to get us through the next couple of days...then I want it completely changing...this is the third trip away and the third time it hasn't worked...each time it goes back in and is apparently working ok...
Have a scan through this to see if you can tell what the issue is:- Eberspacher Airtronic fault finding guide

O dear must admit I do know what you mean. You could go for a two birth caravan which is easy to two. Swift do a nice one called the Basecamp which I think looks great, you could even tow it with the van

O dear must admit I do know what you mean. You could go for a two birth caravan which is easy to two. Swift do a nice one called the Basecamp which I think looks great, you could even tow it with the van
Really like those Basecamps - Friends we camp with have a Go Pod which is a similar size - still end up doing quite a bit of shuffling things around though.

They look nice, but expensive. I think for that price id get an eriba, then you still have the cool factor.

They look nice, but expensive. I think for that price id get an eriba, then you still have the cool factor.
You’re all talking about caravans. I don’t think the words “factor” “cool” and “caravans” belong in the same sentence! Unless of course that sentence was “i’ve just factored in a really cool way to blow up some caravans”. :whistle:;):laugh:

Yeah I can't think of any way a caravan could be cool! But there again, if you're taking a huge purchasing decision like that on the basis of whether it's "cool" or not then it probably needs rethinking.
One of those Ducato based panel van conversions would probably suit you better. I must admit, I probably wouldn't go for a transporter if I spent all my time on sites, unless it was my every day vehicle, it really comes into its own when wild camping and touring where you're in a different place every night and the conpact size is an asset.

No way @superflyguy they are small and the roof needs to pop up. How you can say they look cool is past me I only see old people in them. I may be getting on but I do have my values
Really like those Basecamps - Friends we camp with have a Go Pod which is a similar size - still end up doing quite a bit of shuffling things around though.
Got to admit you are right, on the price as it was only a few K more for the one I bought. Still there is more going for the Basecamp than the TAB I looked at, not impressed with what you get for your money with that what so ever

@Veema really feel for you, had similar experiences in past and threw a fit . Abandoned my pop up awning , etc. I completely changed my van layout to what I needed and it changed my experience of using the van, instead of getting rid why not rearrange, nothing to loose. I got a wind out awning so that stopped the faff on In bad weather And gave me a instant bit cover, tore out the kitchen in van sink/hobs and fridge because I never used it which freed up space and allowed me to change the seating arrangement . Tow bar mounted box emptied my interior of junk from floor and combined with the pop top stopped us crawling around on the floor for everything, My kids were happy because I got a small tv fitted and we could sit together when we did at times need to sit in during weather spells. I got my last van converted for me cause I had the money and I specked it with everything.. turns out it wasn’t for me , I tore it all out and did it myself to suit . This time round instead of a very close purchase of Cali I went for a lwb kombi to do my own with. ... the heating though needs fixing that is one luxury I would not do without ! Hope you give it another chance. There’s a thread here you might of seen with others interior set up maybe that will inspire you instead of what the convertor gave you to work with.
Nowadays I pull up and open my doors that’s me ready, I still go out travelling with tenters and caravan pullers but find wherever we go I’m normally sat relaxing enjoying myself watching tent people faff on and the caravan pullers to turn up much later on

Got to admit you are right, on the price as it was only a few K more for the one I bought. Still there is more going for the Basecamp than the TAB I looked at, not impressed with what you get for your money with that what so ever
Not (knowingly) seen those TAB caravans before - expensive aren’t they!!

Back