Selling Up.

No way @superflyguy they are small and the roof needs to pop up. How you can say they look cool is past me I only see old people in them. I may be getting on but I do have my values

Got to admit you are right, on the price as it was only a few K more for the one I bought. Still there is more going for the Basecamp than the TAB I looked at, not impressed with what you get for your money with that what so ever
They are small and the roof pops up ? Duurr what does a T6 camper do !! each to their own, get to a few VW meets and you may see a few younger than yourself using them.

You’re all talking about caravans. I don’t think the words “factor” “cool” and “caravans” belong in the same sentence! Unless of course that sentence was “i’ve just factored in a really cool way to blow up some caravans”. :whistle:;):laugh:
I guess its just me that thinks Airstreams are cool then.

Yeah I can't think of any way a caravan could be cool! But there again, if you're taking a huge purchasing decision like that on the basis of whether it's "cool" or not then it probably needs rethinking.
One of those Ducato based panel van conversions would probably suit you better. I must admit, I probably wouldn't go for a transporter if I spent all my time on sites, unless it was my every day vehicle, it really comes into its own when wild camping and touring where you're in a different place every night and the conpact size is an asset.
I'm sure the majority of the people that buy a T6 make a huge decision as they think its cool if im being honest :whistle:

I guess its just me that thinks Airstreams are cool then.
I admire the standard of workmanship, engineering, and the sheer aluminumness of them. I might even like a weeks holiday in one (in America) - but I certainly wouldn't want to drag one around Britain. A 5.5-6m motorhome constructed the same though with retro styling? Sign me up!

I know what the fault with the eberspacher is...it's the fan...it's either catching on something or not spinning at the correct speed...it's been looked at twice previously and I keep being told it's ok...it's not ok and I want a new one.

There is no way I am ripping the interior out after what I've paid for it, but it isn't really ideal if I'm being honest. But then if I'm being really honest, I don't think camping is for me anymore.

That said, the weather has been better today, I've bought a small radiator thing, I've reattached the awning with little fuss and I'm sat outside with a beer. A grouse has just run past...and the child is throwing a ball at the box the radiator came in, much to the delight of all the other campers.

Our last van (Swift Suntor) was more 'motorhome' than 'campervan' and whilst it was fantastic once you're on site,
it was very restrictive in where you could go, where you could park, just nipping from the campsite down to the chippy,
when you really fancied a trip out for a proper meal at a local pub, and so on... previously we'd had transporter high-tops
and had none of these problems. When I lost Pol (3 years now) I just didnt want the inconvenience of the big van on my todd,
so I've gone back to a campervan with the Hillside Birchover T6. Its horses for courses, we're all different with different expectations
and different ideas of where we're happy to compromise. I can see why a campervan might not suit everyone, but whilst 'bigger' might
seem 'better', it does bring its own problems. Happy travels Veema whichever way you choose
Cheers
Phil

oldvan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what the fault with the eberspacher is...it's the fan...it's either catching on something or not spinning at the correct speed...it's been looked at twice previously and I keep being told it's ok...it's not ok and I want a new one.

There is no way I am ripping the interior out after what I've paid for it, but it isn't really ideal if I'm being honest. But then if I'm being really honest, I don't think camping is for me anymore.

That said, the weather has been better today, I've bought a small radiator thing, I've reattached the awning with little fuss and I'm sat outside with a beer. A grouse has just run past...and the child is throwing a ball at the box the radiator came in, much to the delight of all the other campers.

2 days ago I was sat in a full on strop inside my MH in the South of France, cursing the world and who ever invented camping and rain!

Today I'm sat outside in the North of France with a beer to my side, the sun still showing (just) and life gets no better.

The weather is the curse of my life! My business stops if it's crap, I don't earn money, and I wish for a normal 9-5 job. Then that big round shiny thing pops through the clouds and all is perfect again.

I admire the standard of workmanship, engineering, and the sheer aluminumness of them. I might even like a weeks holiday in one (in America) - but I certainly wouldn't want to drag one around Britain. A 5.5-6m motorhome constructed the same though with retro styling? Sign me up!
Good interpretation, they must be like pulling a house, I go to eroica Brittania bike festival every year and Weber bbqs have an enormous airstream they use as a display/ demo vehicle, they tow it with a 110 defender , I had one five years ago and was only achieving about 20 mpg on a good day, so towing that must have been down to single figure's !!

Weather had been particularly crap this last 6 months - try and stick with it a bit longer and hopefully the summer will make things look a whole lot better. :)

Sounds like the Eberspacher problem is the second one up on the table I posted a link for earlier?
“Heater ignites normally, goes into boost mode, then switches to stand-by mode, blower is slowly spinning but the heater never restarts. No fault code recorded.
1. Using EDiTH, check setpoint for temperature and current air temperature. Replace part which works improperly. Swap minicontroller if do not have EDiTH;

2. If minicontroller OK, install external temperature sensor or replace ECU”

Might give you a starting point for your conversion with the installer/converter.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted quickly.

as commented above:
Best bit of kit is our wind out awning - immediate cover.

We don't have a built in heater but just spent 2 nights over Easter - temp of 2 deg and - 2 degs!!
We use an oil filled small radiator running off the EHU.
Brilliant and toasty warm - plus no noisy fan sound.

As usual, everything revolves around the big shiny orange thing that comes out infrequently in this
land of ours........BUT when it does.....sitting outside, beers, wine and a posh G&T. BBQ and nibbles on
the go......aaaaaahhhhh! Can't get any better.

Stick with it Veema and give the summer a chance??
:smile bounce::mexican wave::waving:

Bless you, it sounds like the heater issue is the last straw.
Great and honest advice from tourershine, if you do sell , sell privately to a VW person, a dealer just cant match that money due to profit margins.
We have......
Started at caravan ( that lasted a month didnt get on with towing and faff)
Then a 7 m motorhome ( layout wasnt right , a little faff)
Then a 7 1/4 metre motorhome( perfect layout but way too long and got stuck on sites so a little faff, public transport etc and theres no way I was towing a noddy car behind))
Now... Bilbos conversion , loving it and have invested in a decent little driveaway awning easy put up and have a big vango air awning from motorhome days . Some faff but enjoying the experience and this forum!
Wouldn’t rule out a tiny little caravan sort of Basecamp, Adria Action, Knaus sport and fun ( what a name ) at some stage just so theres some other options.
Theres always a faff somewhere and it seems you always have to compromise somewhere but hope you find a way ahead , the panel van conversions are a sort of good midway point between vw and coachbuilt motorhomes. Good luck!

Back