Second battery on options list?? Is it a leisure battery ??

Sean O Leary

T6 Guru
Hello
I want to enquire if anyone could confirm for me if selecting the second battery option on extras list when ordering a new van, is this in fact a leisure battery with a split charger that can be used when ignition is turned off to be used for running battery operated items when camped etc. Or am I better off not selecting it and fitting a battery under the seat with split charger system
Thanks for your help
Sean

Good man thanks that's added so, do you know where they locate the second battery? Under a seat or outside in the engine bay

Last edited:
Even if I go for a single seat, I assume swivel base is not possible then either is it
Thanks
For you help

Yep factory second battery with factory swivels here

This was before I added all my lighting wiring and controllers under here.

@Pauly Did you managed to decode and decipher what was what under here?

IMG_8846.jpg

Just looked at this, Varta VW 1J0 915 105 AE Battery (1J0915105AE) - Car Batteries - Varta Car Batteries and I don't think its anything special just a 77ah starter battery.
This suits me as I have a Anderson connector on the rear and another on the seat base incase I flatten the starting battery. Though I will be fitting a blown air diesel heater at some point and extended run times could be an advantage.

Last edited:
Looks like standard loom connectors (front to rear), 15 amp fuse for fag lighter and relays/fuses for sliding doors maybe.
The bizarre thing is the vent tube in the AGM battery!

@travelvolts Lifted from boats.com ref venting.

Sealed Batteries Still Need Venting - boats.com

even though your batteries are normally sealed, they actually do have a venting system integrated into the case top. In the event of an overcharge condition, it is possible for excess pressure to build up inside your battery. Your new batteries are equipped with check valves that are engineered to open at between 2-3 PSI depending upon the specific brand. What will be expelled is hydrogen gas, and you want to vent that as it is quite explosive.

Sealed Batteries: Are They Really Sealed? - boats.com

Answer: Yes you do. It is important to remember that although these newer battery types and designs are much less prone to “gassing” as they are being recharged, any battery can gas if it is overcharged due to a faulty voltage regulator or an improperly calibrated shore power charger.

Your batteries are more properly known as “VRLA” batteries, or Valve Regulated Lead Acid. The battery has a small check valve built into its top that is designed to open and vent when the battery’s internal pressure reaches 1-3 PSI, depending upon the vendor. This will then allow for the release of hydrogen gas from inside the battery. Since hydrogen is highly explosive, neither the USCG nor ABYC give “sealed” batteries any special breaks as to where they get installed.

The good news? Hydrogen is lighter than air so it rises. It also mixes with air quite readily; a quite small opening (about 12mm or half an inch in the upper-most covering for the compartment shown) would be sufficient to ventilate the area in the event of a leak.

Last edited:
@travelvolts From the first link in the above post the answer is to a question relating specifically to AGM batteries. I'm not a professional like yourself so I would be inclined to ask a battery manufacturer such as VARTA for confirmation especially if putting a battery inside the vehicle in a confined space and there is conflicting professional opinion.

Not a conflict of opinion, only fact. AGM batteries do NOT require ventilation. Yes, they have a vent but this is for pressure relief in an the case of a charging malfunction, not for the venting of Hydrogen gas in normal operation as per a wet cell battery.

Guess VW aren't fitting AGM batteries then if they consider it necessary to fit a vent tube to their underseat installation as a fire precaution? Or is it belt and braces to ensure they have exercised all reasonable precautions to prevent an accident - product liability overkill?

Last edited:
I think it's probably an assembly line thing. Plus the AGM battery is generally built into the same casing as a wet battery so still has the same vent holes. On the production line the guy has certain parts that he fits when the second battery option is on the list and one of those parts is still a vent tube so in it goes!

I would trust Martin 100% here. Since we started installing leisure electrics at slidepods we have learnt a huge amount much of it from experience but even more from Martin. Long before the release of the T6 he had already picked up on the potential charging issues in bluemotion vans even though they were extremely rare and was advising us of what to do about it.

Having discussed this with @Pauly he has suggested that this be posted here to enable members to make their own decision to vent AGM Batteries installed within the passenger compartment to the external atmosphere. It should be noted that the VW factory installation includes venting venting (the tube in question is shown on the ETKA schematic for secondary batteries).

MY COMMENT: Failure to install venting could invalidate both the manufacturer:s warranty and your insurance in the event of an incident that can be attributed by either to the battery being unvented. It is their way of avoiding liability. MY COMMENT ENDS.

I contacted VARTA (UK) for their advice and the trail of emails is below with the latest at the top. The VARTA (UK) position with regard to venting is clear and you may wish to read the whole of my contact with them.

Date: Thursday, 16 February, 2017
Subject: RE: Contact Us Form Submission
To: John

Dear John,

We don’t supply the tubing, but any correctly sized tubing will be fine.

Best regards,

Debbie

Debbie F*******
Key Account Representative
Johnson Controls Power Solutions EMEA

Email:

================================================================

Sent: 15 February 2017 09:52
To: VB-UK-Enquiries BG-EUR-DE

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for that additional information and I will now seek to pass on the information and educate others. I do know that VW fit vent tubes to their leisure batteries but even a seasoned auto-electrician pooh-poohs that by saying "that is because they have always done it".

Is it possible to purchase vent tubes to fit or will any correct sized tubing suffice ?

Thank you once again for your assistance.

John

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

===========================================================

Date: Thursday, 15 February, 2017

Dear John,

AGM batteries gas at a much slower rate than conventional lead acid batteries so this is maybe why they are saying that it is not needed.

Best regards,

Debbie

Debbie F*******
Johnson Controls Power Solutions EMEA

===============================================================

Sent: 14 February 2017 17:22
To: VB-UK-Enquiries BG-EUR-DE

Debbie,

Thank you for your advice as there is some disagreement with installers about the necessity to vent an AGM Battery to atmosphere if installing within the passenger compartment.

John

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

=========================================================

Date: Thursday, 14 February, 2017

Dear Mr *******,

It is advisable to vent the battery so that any fumes that are generated will be taken outside of the vehicle.

Best regards,

Debbie

Debbie F*******
Johnson Controls Power Solutions EME

===========================================================

From: pulsedigitaltechnology@teamdetroit.com [mailto:pulsedigitaltechnology@teamdetroit.com]
Sent: 12 February 2017 15:39
To: info-uk@varta-automotive.com
Subject: Contact Us Form Submission

There has been a submission of the form Contact Us through your concrete5 website.

*Comments/Question I intend fitting a Varta AGM Leisure Battery under the driver's seat of a VW Transporter. Is it advisable to connect a vent tube to vent the battery to atmosphere ?

*First Name: John

*Last Name: **********

Last edited:
The Touareg has an AGM under the passenger seat and that is vented.
Just reading the Transporter electrical workshop manual and that says "if fitted" .

I just can't believe how much grief stuck in the mud people are making over this, as there is a grommet there already, and the tube is nothing special in itself... So why not fit it? It isn't as if it's difficult, or expensive!

Back