Scuttle drains for sound deadening

Mocko1962

VCDS User
T6 Pro
I removed the scuttle and dodo 2mm sound deadened the scuttle area whilst leaving the wiper mechanism in place .. other than the cable looms from scuttle into engine bay I didn’t notice any drains / pipes out for water drains .. there are the wing open apertures from the scuttle area on either side .. does the water drain down here .. I managed to cover most of the scuttle area with the dodo mat .. bulkhead / scuttle floor / scuttle sides / scuttle ‘roof’ internal .. anyone know what drains the scuttle either side ?

Did exactly same today. Had to vacuum 4 years of leaves / crud out beforehand. Amazed at how much empty space there was in there. I too wondered if the apertures were sole escape for water. Anyway poured some water in and it escaped under van so presumably yes that’s where water finds it way out. Hope the dodo isn’t affected by constant exposure to elements but it’s done now.

I removed the scuttle and dodo 2mm sound deadened the scuttle area whilst leaving the wiper mechanism in place .. other than the cable looms from scuttle into engine bay I didn’t notice any drains / pipes out for water drains .. there are the wing open apertures from the scuttle area on either side .. does the water drain down here .. I managed to cover most of the scuttle area with the dodo mat .. bulkhead / scuttle floor / scuttle sides / scuttle ‘roof’ internal .. anyone know what drains the scuttle either side ?
Did exactly same today. Had to vacuum 4 years of leaves / crud out beforehand. Amazed at how much empty space there was in there. I too wondered if the apertures were sole escape for water. Anyway poured some water in and it escaped under van so presumably yes that’s where water finds it way out. Hope the dodo isn’t affected by constant exposure to elements but it’s done now.
Guys, has it made much difference in terms of engine noise from the driving seat?
Thanks for your updates.

Guys, has it made much difference in terms of engine noise from the driving seat?
Thanks for your updates.
Not trying to bust in here but I am so very pleased that I did my scuttle, huge difference in terms of sound. I also added 30mm sound deadening foam on top of the Dynamat extreme I put down thanks to one the guys on here telling me about it.
Nice and quiet in the van now :thumbsup:

Not trying to bust in here but I am so very pleased that I did my scuttle, huge difference in terms of sound. I also added 30mm sound deadening foam on top of the Dynamat extreme I put down thanks to one the guys on here telling me about it.
Nice and quiet in the van now :thumbsup:
Many thanks, I read loads on here about how to do it but very little about the results. I'm now thinking it's a worthwhile job to do on a sunny day!
I don't like using the word "scuttle" on here while Jog is online!!! :slow rofl:

I have yet to drive it so will see what difference it makes. Texxaco ..I thought about the sound deadening foam as I have some left over but wasn’t sure if fire hazard / melting with engine heat. Especially in summer. Then again I do worry too much about most things. I imagine the foam will have better quality sound insulation. Perhaps it’s fire proof.

Many thanks, I read loads on here about how to do it but very little about the results. I'm now thinking it's a worthwhile job to do on a sunny day!
I don't like using the word "scuttle" on here while Jog is online!!! :slow rofl:
I sense your fear as who know’s when @JOG will strike!

I have yet to drive it so will see what difference it makes. Texxaco ..I thought about the sound deadening foam as I have some left over but wasn’t sure if fire hazard / melting with engine heat. Especially in summer. Then again I do worry too much about most things. I imagine the foam will have better quality sound insulation. Perhaps it’s fire proof.
I was In your camp until I read about people using the foam as sound deadening under their bonnets whilst I also ready what the manufacturer has to say about their products.
Fitting it is easier than it sounds, it’s all about patience but my advise, take the wiper motor out when you fit it as it’s very tight with it in situ.

Yes there is an opening each side for drainage. Make sure you cover the large plastic cover on the drivers side as that has no use on the RH drive model.

“Scuttle” only ever meant one of two things when I was growing up: the copper/brass bucket by the fire for coal; or, to run away. It is you filthy types who have me looking up “urban dictionary” as I am too naive to know that meaning!

Back