Scratched Carbon Wing Mirror Cover . . . . . . . . How To Repair

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Looks like the Trucking Arctic Lorry Driving Road Gorillas have had some fun with the wing mirror . . . .

its a deep scratch, enough to knock the mirror off its safety spring . . . it clonked when folding down. then folded back up, then down again . . . . . which i thought was odd. checked mirror, found damage = not happy.

its definitely too deep for cutting compound, so im thinking wet & dry paper to take it out, then cutting compound?

im sure this is a common occurrence, so what have we all done to repair it?

20180711_094206.jpg

20180711_094209.jpg

More info over here > Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Last edited:
Cheaper to replace it.
They are hydrodipped then lacquered from factory.

So not genuine Carbon fibre as it states in the VW accessory catalogue? Is that the same for the genuine VW Carbon rear bumper protector? (which states it's Real Carbon Fibre) I only ask that because mine seems to chip pretty easily.

Last edited:
If they are the VW sportline covers then i believe they are genuine carbon fibre
They are very flexible and certainly dont feel like plastic or fibre glass

IMG_4357.JPG IMG_4358.JPG

Daft question, but I assume you know they are only stuck on top of the mirror, and come off quite easily?

Yep I do.. but like the sportline look and want to keep the OEM look....

So I'll leave it on while trying to repair it with wet&dry Etc ... I'll try tomorrow.

If it all goes wrong I'll replace it....

Looks like @Pauly might have a set?

So I'll leave it on while trying to repair it with wet&dry Etc ... I'll try tomorrow.

Sorry, it was only because you mentioned they were new from the factory already fitted.
Shame, I just sold a pair to another member on here quite cheap.

No I don’t I’m afraid that was some pics I took a while ago but can you a set of required

So here we have it . . . . .

Finally got around to giving it a go . . . . . . And the results look good to me.

I started off with this :

20180918_145118.jpg

In the back ground i had got some wet and dry paper from Amazon . . . . . . 3000/5000/7000 grit.

20180918_145208.jpg

i started with the 3000 grit, after a bit of rubbing we had this . . . . . .

20180918_145819.jpg

i carried on, still with the 3000 grit . . . . . and ended up with this:

20180918_150319.jpg

next on the menu was a bit of cutting compound . . . . . well metallic T-Cut actually . . . . which give me this. >

20180918_151509.jpg

Next up was a wash & wax up for the whole van . . . . Possible video coming up on that =]

this was the final result . . . . . . .

20180918_171131.jpg

20180918_171123.jpg

So all-in-all im very happy with the result =]

saved me a few quid on new covers anyway.

As far as I'm aware Sportlines don't come from the factory (Germany that is).

That is technically correct.

The sportline kit is fitted on arrival in the UK after leaving the factory.....before being delivered to the dealer..... and then on to the customer.

So effectively the vans are delivered to the customers as a factory fully built sportline..... in the UK anyway.

So here we have it . . . . .

Finally got around to giving it a go . . . . . . And the results look good to me.

I started off with this :

View attachment 28792

In the back ground i had got some wet and dry paper from Amazon . . . . . . 3000/5000/7000 grit.

View attachment 28793

i started with the 3000 grit, after a bit of rubbing we had this . . . . . .

View attachment 28794

i carried on, still with the 3000 grit . . . . . and ended up with this:

View attachment 28795

next on the menu was a bit of cutting compound . . . . . well metallic T-Cut actually . . . . which give me this. >

View attachment 28796

Next up was a wash & wax up for the whole van . . . . Possible video coming up on that =]

this was the final result . . . . . . .

View attachment 28797

View attachment 28798

So all-in-all im very happy with the result =]

saved me a few quid on new covers anyway.
Cracking result :thumbsup:

These are ours, bought a pair of actual covers from TPS had them dipped then fitted. Not the easiest things to fit TBH. Advantages, they don't sit proud, you can get other bits dipped the same to match i.e. bumper protector at the same time. Disadvantages, you cant polish out damage as the OP has, also a pig to fit and your left with the original cover to sell on.

Carbon cap.JPG

These are ours, bought a pair of actual covers from TPS had them dipped then fitted. Not the easiest things to fit TBH. Advantages, they don't sit proud, you can get other bits dipped the same to match i.e. bumper protector at the same time. Disadvantages, you cant polish out damage as the OP has, also a pig to fit and your left with the original cover to sell on.

View attachment 28882
Also stone chips can be touched in with a black permanent marker.

Back