School me on my pop top!

It_was_all_yellow

VIP Member
I usually know everything about about any vehicle that i buy except this one seemed to happen overnight and I didn’t have time to compare or look at very much!

As such I have loads of questions and my youtube hours have dramatically increased!

But first … my pop top!

CC285FF7-F8C4-4F52-981C-94AB60546B5E.jpeg57993F0B-B1B5-47B8-8F68-193A63B9AB70.jpeg

Does anyone know what make this is please?

Is it sitting right? The images are after I have closed it as tight as possible but you can still push it down further from the outside so am i doing it correctly?

When I lifted the roof earlier it had a bungee cord around it. I’ve seen this is to help with closing so that the tent doesn’t get caught but does this just stay on all the time?

Inside the tent close to the back there was a strap with a quick release buckle that was done up. Is this just for keeping the tent tight when closed?

Thats it so far for the roof! If there’s anything else I might have missed please let me know.

Thank you!

Reactions: CAB
I usually know everything about about any vehicle that i buy except this one seemed to happen overnight and I didn’t have time to compare or look at very much!

As such I have loads of questions and my youtube hours have dramatically increased!

But first … my pop top!

View attachment 185656View attachment 185657

Does anyone know what make this is please?

Is it sitting right? The images are after I have closed it as tight as possible but you can still push it down further from the outside so am i doing it correctly?

When I lifted the roof earlier it had a bungee cord around it. I’ve seen this is to help with closing so that the tent doesn’t get caught but does this just stay on all the time?

Inside the tent close to the back there was a strap with a quick release buckle that was done up. Is this just for keeping the tent tight when closed?

Thats it so far for the roof! If there’s anything else I might have missed please let me know.

Thank you!
Bungee - yes, leave it on. QR buckle on inside also pulls canvas away from hinges.

Roof up against spoiler means it’s slid forwards on the hinges. You can slack off the bolts for hinges to van, and shove roof back. On my old Reimo, I had to do same with bolts on hinge to roof too, then it was back to the correct position.

It looks like a reimo. Should be a label on the underside of the fibreglass at the front(outside) of the roof. You'll see it when you put up the roof.
Is it making contact with the spoiler?
Post some pics of the strap area when the roof is down. Is the canvas bunched up and preventing the roof from closing more?

It looks like a reimo. Should be a label on the underside of the fibreglass at the front(outside) of the roof. You'll see it when you put up the roof.
Is it making contact with the spoiler?
Post some pics of the strap area when the roof is down. Is the canvas bunched up and preventing the roof from closing more?
It’s not making contact with the front spoiler. It just sits slightly higher and you can push it down another inch or so. The straps are as tight as they can be.

I didn’t think the canvas was too bunched up but I don’t have anything to compare that to so I’ll post a picture tomorrow.

Don't pack the canvas into the cavity until you have secured it down, pull the canvas into the van tthen strap down, then pack canvas.
Not that I have a problem but have to pack neatly before strapping down can't strap first then pack away

I fold it neatly into the van, put my straps on then tuck canvas into the cavity. We probably do it the same way but my description may sound dodgy.

I often have the same issue, it’s only on the left side (as you’re looking to the front). However I pack it I can’t seem to get it right! But it’s never leaked and haven’t had issues so far so I for me think it doesn’t matter too much overall.

It does look like the bunched canvas is the issue.
If you put the roof down and without bothering with the straps and leaving the canvas completely inside the van then does it drop flush just using gravity under its own weight?
That’s be my first test.
If it sits flush then roll the canvas neatly and strap down the roof nice and tight.
I do mine in that order.
Roof down completely
Tightly roll material
Strap down.4BEF0050-1121-47B2-AC85-E34EC4DAC8F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the hoops for the straps to pass through are on the top side of the inner roof panel rather than on the lower side ‍
compared to bigsidavies photo..

It just sits slightly higher and you can push it down another inch or so. The straps are as tight as they can be.
Generally with pop tops there is no space for bedding to be left in place with a stowed roof, if there is bedding up there it may well be stopping it closing properly.
It’s hard to describe how tight the strap should be but don’t worry about over tightening, two hands with the strap wrapped around one will be tight.

Don’t roll your canvas up , fold it, when I put my roof down I make three folds in the canvas and my roof always sits flush

I did sort it!
Ended up playing around with different configurations for the straps while pulling the canvas in until it went as tight as it could.

Back