Sat nav vs maps on phones

Thanks @Noods , yeh I had sussed out the manual zoom, just a pain to do when your concentrating on traffic in a busy area you haven’t driven through before. I tend to switch on the MFD to NAV for turn offs/junctions etc.

Hi DaveBos, I'd have to agree with you, its always there, no fiddling....agreed it is lacking in many respects.....but it does the basic job with average graphics. You probably know this already, but when you're using Nav in the van, you can zoom in & out with the "tuning" knob on the radio (i.e. the right hand round knob) during navigation ? I know you meant it would be great if it did it automatically like other systems, but just thought I'd throw that feature out there too :)
Looking forward to the day VW bring there Nav system into the 21st century !
These are very fair points, however I would far rather spend a few seconds connecting my phone in order to get far far more accurate, up to the minute, traffic information than any built in unit provides. Those of you who have never tried the WAZE app should give it a go and then decide which nav you prefer.

I really like using a sat nav with one minor exception...
Everywhere I've travelled I've just followed the pink line and oat times not had a clue where I've been through.

:confused::confused:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oldrat, that made me think.......my good lady does the same thing every journey, and even after months of doing the same route she's still completely scuppered if her normal route is closed or blocked :rolleyes: because she has never seen the route she's been driving, or looked around her to see where she is in relation to landmarks etc ! Highly doubt you're anything like that at all, but it does make me chuckle when she does that :laugh:

VW/Mercedes/BMW have jointly bought Nokia’s Here mapping system and data so expect all of the big 3’s systems to be based on that in the near future. The iPhone app is pretty good. Waze’s features are gradually being absorbed into Google maps and should be complete soon. Apple maps is still lagging but they are investing massively in improving it, both by buying other companies and by setting people to work squishing errors. These 3 are going to become pretty much the only nav systems in vehicles before too long as all the manufacturers need vastly more detailed data for self-driving functions and just can not afford to develop it themselves. Tomtom and Garmin are not long for this world sadly, nobody’s buying them and they’re shedding staff and shrinking rapidly.

Back