Sat nav vs maps on phones

Google Maps or Waze for me. I've had cheap satnavs and dedicated ones and find the phone products to be better at routing, more up to date and easier to use plus always up to date for free. Advantages of a dedicated one are easier to read screen + not killing your phone battery. If I were using sat nav for hundreds of miles per day I think that it would swing in favour of a dedicated unit now, but otherwise not for me.

I'm actually planning on mounting a small android tablet to use as sat nav + in van entertainment so aiming for a bit of a hybrid approach

The ones I "auditioned" were all free apps, Google maps, Apple Maps, Nokia Here, NavMii and Waze (which is owned by Google). NavMii was the only one thay didn't cause any problems at all in the week I used each one, plus the maps are downloaded beforehand (regularly updated) so no data used, although the live traffic will pull some down but that can't be helped. I liked Waze and it was a solid 2nd place for me, but it had an occasional tendency to describe going straight on at a roundabout as a left turn follwoed by an immediate right turn. It would also on occasion cut the spoken instruction off halfway through the second word which was a bit odd. Only those two minor niggles, but NavMii never put a foot wrong.

I gave up on Garmins as they always went wrong immediately they were out of warranty. I'm going to be getting a Carplay stereo by the end of the year though so might have to go through this process again for the apps available on that

Worth noting with Google maps you can download areas (including whole countries) if data usage is a concern.

" but it had an occasional tendency to describe going straight on at a roundabout as a left turn follwoed by an immediate right turn. "

I also find Waze can send you on the D*ckhead routes from time to time: rat running up sliproads and across car parks to knock a few seconds off your journey. I guess that it what it is meant to do, but it does make you look like a tool.

Google maps for me too. Also just bought a great little phone holder from Maplin. It just fits to the air vent and you attach a sticky magnet to back on your phone. Sticks well and is put phone type specific, and can also use in different cars. Winner, winner chicken dinner!!! Speaking of which, anyone know a good steak house in Rouen, France????

If there are two of us on a journey, and things get complicated we usually bring up Google maps on the iPad because I think every sat nav we have used has got it wrong at some time or another. Interesting waze is owned by google, I thought it used google maps as its base; I can't fully see how waze will make a profit yet, I guess eventually the nearest coffee shop etc will pop up en-route (if the coffee shops pays a royality) etc etc

I have had lots of SatNavs, including TomTom, Garmin, and Google. The one I always use now is the free Waze app on my iPhone; without a doubt it is the most up to date and accurate almost to the minute when it comes to delays, accidents, road works, traffic jams and even breakdowns. I would never dream of buying another standalone SatNav, or even use one built into the head unit.

I used to be a big nav mi fan but lately I've started experiencing poor routing and inaccurate traffic with it so have been using Google maps.

It's actually much better than it used to be and the pictorial directing including which lane to be in at the roundabouts has been good on our holidays.

I'm getting a full on android head unit to use it on

As things seem to develop the global information people will win eventually, and both TomTom and Garmin cannot compete with Google/Waze in that regard.
TomTom (who are Dutch) claimed to be Europes only world sector leading tech company........good luck with that.

The Flash fiasco wasn't too clever either but like the annoying smartar5e school kid, they seem to just carry on with hardly a hiccup.
We have quite a bit of apple stuff, but they are very arrogant, and the younger generation and techy brigade seem to be android fans, I think iPhone will have the battle royal with samsung for years to come. I tunes is really on the slippery slope, and apple music will not regain the streaming market unless they start purchasing existing companies. If apple car play holds out against google/waze, then it will be the iPhone that suffers as people move to android, and quite rightly so.

Using co-pilot on my phone. Had some good updates of late, maps are fairly up to date too. I'm quite happy with it and like that it works well for all types of vehicles.

Using co-pilot on my phone. Had some good updates of late, maps are fairly up to date too. I'm quite happy with it and like that it works well for all types of vehicles.
I used to use (and love) co-pilot. Had a couple of problems and abandoned them for Google offering. Problems were:
1. Them making me pay again because they released new versions (lifetime license my butt)
2. Driving around in circles in France thanks to some insane routing
3. GPS less accurate than GPS + WiFi location on Google products

If they've solved 1+2 then it's solid. Not sure whether #3 is solvable or not

I really like using a sat nav with one minor exception...
Everywhere I've travelled I've just followed the pink line and oat times not had a clue where I've been through.

:confused::confused:

When I went to the states the cost of sat nav for the hire car was astronomical!!
So we loaded TOM Tom onto a iPad with GPS chip (works on phone too) and it worked brilliantly
No data charges either as was all on device

I use factory NAV in the T6 and phone in the works van. The factory NAV is ok in my opinion, could be much better though especially in cities, a zoom in feature for junctions would be handy. The plus for me with factory is that its always there, no need to get the phone out, plug it in and fiddle about with a small screen, maybe a bit lazy of me... The phone works well if you have tinterweb, but not always accessible in Wales.

Hi DaveBos, I'd have to agree with you, its always there, no fiddling....agreed it is lacking in many respects.....but it does the basic job with average graphics. You probably know this already, but when you're using Nav in the van, you can zoom in & out with the "tuning" knob on the radio (i.e. the right hand round knob) during navigation ? I know you meant it would be great if it did it automatically like other systems, but just thought I'd throw that feature out there too :)
Looking forward to the day VW bring there Nav system into the 21st century !

Back