Sat nav vs maps on phones

TeresaE

T6 Pro
just wondered if any of you peeps out there have any thoughts on which is best to use.
We have been using google maps on my iPhone but are wondering if it would be better to get a sat nav.
Thanks
Teresa

I'm debating the same thing...just had a look at satnavs in Halfords...they're quite pricey for one that covers Europe and has all the traffic updates etc.

Worth every penny and better than factory fit.
I've had/used/have phone, portable and factory fit; a good portable wins by miles.
Ours has been SO good even in very remote areas of Galicia; Garmin Nuvi 3598 (I think).
I find phone nav good when it works but very unreliable. Portables always get a good satellite fix and just work.

We've been looking there and yes they which is why I'm asking the question. We've have an old sat nav that's been languishing at the back of the cupboard, as our last 2 cars had an inbuilt sat nav. But I was never a big fan as we still managed to get lost. Lol :rofl:
It's a garmin nuvi 310 delux (I think it's about 13 years old). Would it be worth updating that (that's if we can)?

I've gone from using a Garmin to junking it and just using the phone. Tried out all the nav apps but by far the best one for me is Nav Mii and that's all I use now

Firstly everyone is different, its what suits you that matters.

You asked advice - Depends what you want to use it for.
If its simply getting from A-B then perhaps the phone might suit you best if you have the data package.

If however you want to download POIs, plan routes and even share them with others then for me the Sat Nav rules.

In my humble opinion a proprietary sat nav will beat a factory fitted one hands down.

My experience is based on using several Garmin motor cycle and car sat navs over years.
And planning routes from my desktop which is not as easy with a factory fit :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your advice, I think I will stick with my phone for now and see how we go, we are off to Dorset at the weekend which looks fairly straightforward so will see how we go.
The old Garmin still works so may take that with us as back up.
Once again thanks for your help guys :waving::waving:

Last edited:
I've put up with my iPhone, but now I also have a Garmin Nuvi 3598LMT , couldn't be without it now.
I think that's what we have (looks like a big iPhone, cost us £300). Can't rate it highly enough; the icing on the cake is free updates via an easy computer link for life.
Updating factory nav is a total PITA and usually expensive.

Free Community-based Mapping, Traffic & Navigation App
Is a top top free down load for smart phones. It is is better than a top of the range tom tom in many regards. Just make sure you have a proper phone holder if you use it, or face a world off pain if you touch it whilst driving.
We have the VW discover media nav; the Apple Car Play - Apple Maps; a dash mounted 6100 tom tom; and Waze on my phone. 4 sat nav in on van............, and its the free one for me which is best.
There is a petition to get Apple to allow Waze to work through through Apple car play, which if it happens will the best alternative imo.
apple-waze-satnav-on-apple-carplay
Try Waze, it is free......:thumbsup:

I use factory NAV in the T6 and phone in the works van. The factory NAV is ok in my opinion, could be much better though especially in cities, a zoom in feature for junctions would be handy. The plus for me with factory is that its always there, no need to get the phone out, plug it in and fiddle about with a small screen, maybe a bit lazy of me... The phone works well if you have tinterweb, but not always accessible in Wales.

I wouldn't have thought so and its not like you would use it everyday, unless you have a really bad memory.

Now ridiculous data charges dont exist in EU anymore the phone is a more viable option.

My mrs loves waze but to me it looks like it was designed for toddlers - Google maps all the way. The ETA feature that lets me view where she is though is actually really helpful for when I have to get her dinner sorted lol

Now ridiculous data charges dont exist in EU anymore the phone is a more viable option.

My mrs loves waze but to me it looks like it was designed for toddlers - Google maps all the way. The ETA feature that lets me view where she is though is actually really helpful for when I have to get her dinner sorted lol
The things I really like with Waze (I am a toddler - mentally anyway;)), the google search you start with to find your destination is really good, so much better than say a TOM TOM, its intuitive and fast, within seconds you are on your way. Secondly the voice commands are really intelligent and you hardly need to look at the map. But if you don't have internet connectivity that could be a real problem

The lack of roaming charges has made a big impact on our travels; its brilliant.
But reception is patchy here and even at home. The Garmin just works; I even use it on foot when I get to somewhere new.
Plus speed limits, camera warnings, a really cool photo style image of major junctions, 3D topography (not just flat maps) and great software for finding stuff; campsites, cash points, etc.

I think that's what we have (looks like a big iPhone, cost us £300). Can't rate it highly enough; the icing on the cake is free updates via an easy computer link for life.
Updating factory nav is a total PITA and usually expensive.
Yes that's the one, not cheap but a quality bit of kit :thumbsup:

Depends if you want something thats intergrated with no leads and leaves sucker pad marks all over the dash or window, plus having to remember to remove it and stowing it away when leaving the vehicle. The Satnav in my 'bus' works really well, I'm very pleased with it.

Back