Rust!!!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Well....I thought I'd give my van a tickle today....wish I hadn't! I spotted a rust blister/bubble just in front of the rear wheel arch! It had a tiny.....and I do mean tiny mark right in the middle. I'm assuming it's as a result of a tiny stone chip? Can't believe that something almost microscopic would allow water in. I don't think there's any point asking VW to look at it....I know what they'll say. I have to say, I'm really not impressed with the paint on my van. Anyone else had a rapidly developing blister off a tiny stone chip? Oh yeh, nearly forgot to mention.....so I'm pissed off and distracted now that I've seen the blister......so then I try to lift my bonnet while my wiper arms are off the screen! Two nice chips on the rear edge of my bonnet now....totally my fault but ya know when you're having a bad day! Anyway.....anyone know a good body shop in N. Yorks? :(

I thought the vans were fully galvanised steel so can't rust?

Our old T5.1 looked like a pepper pot with stone chips and dings... but never showed any signs of rust even after 7years..... except where we had drilled through the panels to expose the steel under the protective galvanised coating......(ply lining holes. Holes through firewall to engine bay etc)

I wonder what's causing the paint to bubble then?

Back