Rust!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've just been scratting about in the back of my kombi and noticed that there is rust around the welds on my 2+1 rear seat.....anyone else notice this? This raises an alarming thought: is my van letting water in other than the kombi window issue. This is after 14 months.....what'll it be like after 5 years? God forbid I should be in an RTC with someone sat on the back seat and the welds let go!! I'm feeling a call to the dealer coming on! :(

Hi I have 3 seater van. All welds at front bench seems to be surrounded by tiny amount of rust. BTW If T6 rustproofing is half as good as my previous caddy (2008) was I wouldn't worry at all (I crashed it and straightened bonnet using 2 pairs of pipe wrenches to bo able to close it in the middle of the road. 2 years later no sign of rust despite paint chipped away in process).

I noticed this as soon as I got mine on the welds on the kombi seats frame and the box under the dual passenger seat on mine , what I thought was the start of some rust. But looking closely I think it looks just as though the paint has had a reaction on the welds and the brown / gold looking bits are the edges of the welds that the paint hasn't covered , nothing to say it may be prone to rust a bit later on in its life .

Welds often do this due to the high oxidation caused by the welding process, its cosmetic only never goes through the weld as they are so hard, a wipe with a bit of vaseline (the least smelly of the things you can cover it with) should clean it up.

Back