Rust Caused By Poor Weld On Sliding Door

J88arv

T6 Guru
Hi all

I’ve found a rust “line” where the sliding door closes and meets with the main body.

looking into it and it appears to be a weld spot protruding on the door which rubs the main body and has been happening over time.

took it to Vw as the issue is an issue with the manufacturing of the van to be told nothing can be done? Can anybody offer advice?

thanks

Hi all

I’ve found a rust “line” where the sliding door closes and meets with the main body.

looking into it and it appears to be a weld spot protruding on the door which rubs the main body and has been happening over time.

took it to Vw as the issue is an issue with the manufacturing of the van to be told nothing can be done? Can anybody offer advice?

thanks

Any close up pictures?

Hahaha no lol and the line which I will put up a new pic is where the rust is

View attachment 55507

You're probably correct, it's where something has been rubbing and as you already know, this won't be a warranty issue for numerous reasons.

The cheap fix is find what's catching, adjust it and touch up the bare metal. The expensive fix is get a bodyshop to adjust the door, and paint the sill, which isn't really necessary if the rub mark is hidden anyway.
Sorry if all that was obvious.

I thought I may have got somethimh as it’s the door rubbing the body

they easy to adjust?

I thought I may have got somethimh as it’s the door rubbing the body

they easy to adjust?

Mate, it took me over 12 months and my own money battling VW when my T6 started to develop corrosion blisters on several main panels, before they finally gave in and fixed my issue. Paint Blisters
That was a nightmare to deal with, and an obvious warranty issue. A problem like yours would be near on impossible to prove being a warranty issue, because there are so many reasons VW can get out of this, so I just wouldn't waste your own time.

As for adjusting a sliding door, i've just had a quick search on here, and it seems there is a very small amount of adjustment available by slacking off the bolts and moving the door, but you only need it to come out a fraction to stop it catching. Don't go mad on adjustment, or the door might not fit properly.

Back