Roof rail fit. Dealer says mounting bolts don't go through the roof?

Barnstormer

T6 Pro
Just having the dealer tweak a Kombi for deliver in a week or so.

I've opted for the factory fit, original VW longitudinal rails rather than aftermarket which mostly seem to be caveated by suppliers for looks rather than load bearing ability which will be important to me..

The dealer assures me the mounting threads don't go through the roof, so sikaflex etc not required when they fit.

Anyone beg to differ with the dealer?

Thanks

The standard fit is captive nuts in the roof skin so I guess the rails just mount to these.

Could you chuck some photos on when you get them please?

The dealer is fitting the rails so if they do leak I can blame them, I guess I can undo one and photograph when the van arrives.

I went for the VW rails. They bolt into the roof, but not through the skin. I fitted them myself and when I took the captive plastic covers off you could see straight through the roof skin to the roof lining. Its quite easy to see how water could get in. I added a touch of sealant to the bolts, and a good dose of sealant all around the fittings after. They have been on now for quite a few months and touch wood, no problems as yet.

Plenty of people get leaks before and after fitting rails/bars, seems like common sense to put a spot of sealer in/around fixings to help keep the water out

i would never let a dealer fit anything I've had too many bad experiences
they seal nothing !
i once had a new front subframe fitted by Audi to my UR Quattro it went rotten as no treatment was added
DIY every time

Reactions: HHO
OK, thanks all who responded, here's a funny story.

In light of all the comments about leaks here I cut and paste you useful replies to the dealer, requesting they fit bars but with sealant.

He advises that the use of sealer isn't specified by VW so the fit wouldn't be covered by the warranty. But it would without sealer.

Q: "OK, I'll fit myself then. Is the fit covered by the warranty?"

A: "Yes, but only if you don't use sealant...."

So they are delivering the van next week with the rails in the back for me to fit.

With sealer. So they don't leak.

At least I save £50 on fitting 6 bolts. Enough money to buy some very nice sealer.

Aghhhhhhhh.........

I've come to my van today and passenger front seat belt Is wet looks like my roof bars have been leaking going to investigate it over the weekend to see if they have used sealer on mine if they havnt someone is going to get a right ear full down the phone

I have taken my roof bars off as I had water our out of the grills where my alarm sensors are in the centre roof console. I did wonder why my alarm went of in the rain the other night :-(

Back