Roamer 160 with ctek D250SE

Oggywales

Hi, I was wondering if a technically minded person could help out

Current leisure battery is a 100Ah AGM under passenger seat with a CTEK D250 SE, I want to swap the battery out with the Roamer 160 lithium when they come back in stock

The CTEK manual mentions pairing the D250 with a smart pass 120s for any battery over 100Ah, is this necessary of just would it just give a faster charge?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Hi, I was wondering if a technically minded person could help out

Current leisure battery is a 100Ah AGM under passenger seat with a CTEK D250 SE, I want to swap the battery out with the Roamer 160 lithium when they come back in stock

The CTEK manual mentions pairing the D250 with a smart pass 120s for any battery over 100Ah, is this necessary of just would it just give a faster charge?

Thanks in advance for any responses
One of our science correspondents will be along shortly, thank you for holding... Great choice of battery by the way!

Ignore that hint, CTEK are just trying to sell you stuff. It makes sense in some high power installs in larger vehicles or boats, not in a T6

Just be aware that the maximum charging current of the CTEK is 20A so to fill a 160Ah Roamer from the advised max 80% discharge will be (160 x 0.8)/20 = 6.4 hours

That's a lot of driving if you are going to be regularly draining it heavily and then expecting to charge it in a day of driving.

If you have any EHU or Solar chargers remember they will also need to support a lithium charging profile :thumbsup:

Brilliant thanks, should be all good then

No ehu or solar but my power needs are a modest with just running a compressor cool box for 2 day max without moving, at present the AGM hits 50% in less than a day

If you don't have other chargers then long term you may want to update the CTEK to something like the new Victron Orion to get higher charging rates, though you might need to then check the existing cables are up to that as well...

Or consider a higher current Victron mains charger to ensure your batteries are topped up before you go away, it might make sense to add either the dedicated quick connector or a fused Anderson for future use while you are changing stuff over. An Anderson could also be used to connect a temporary solar setup to keep things topped up off grid as well.

Dont forget to adjust the battery selector cable (the black one)
For AGM this cable will be connected to 0v and to select lithium profile it will need to be moved to +12v

Back