Road Tax - What are you paying?

I am very very confused. Probably because of my lifestyle ;) ….

So what is the issue here? is everything random or are the bills logical?

Logical John
(what my brother calls me)

I guess a set up a direct debit last year as although I never received a reminder through the post I got an email today to say that my tax has been paid and a dd mandate showing I paid £290 (or will pay on 6 may)

So why have I paid £290 when it seems the going rate is £295? Because of the dd?

Reactions: CAB
For a Cali Beach T6, currently paying the £335 surcharge. In 2025 it will drop back down to the standard car rate (currently £165) as it’s classed as M1. Can’t wait :)

I believe vans (N1) are exempt from the £40K+ surcharge and just pay a flat rate depending on engine size and gross weight. The flat rate for all vehicle tax goes up according to the higher RPI, so 9.9% this year!!

Good news is when the Buzz comes out it will be completely zero rated, regardless of the price… unless they change the rules by then..

I paid £275 for my current van in Feb, and just paid £290 for my new T6.1 Sportline

As always, anything involving the DVLA is overly complicated, anad labyrynthine!
I have a vehicle built as an N1 van, converted by Camper King, a large manufacturer of motor caravans.
I was told they could not get the DVLA to change it from Van to MC, as the rules had changed? This was October 2019.
I am now trying to sell it, and getting asked pointed questions by my potential buyer, as the laws are different from M1(car) to N1(van).
I have worked in this industry for 40 years, I used to read, and understand, EU type approval details for Ford Transit chassis plates. Yet I cannot get my head round this on a VW?
*Shrugs*

Anybody? Help? I am drowning here...

As always, anything involving the DVLA is overly complicated, anad labyrynthine!
I have a vehicle built as an N1 van, converted by Camper King, a large manufacturer of motor caravans.
I was told they could not get the DVLA to change it from Van to MC, as the rules had changed? This was October 2019.
I am now trying to sell it, and getting asked pointed questions by my potential buyer, as the laws are different from M1(car) to N1(van).
I have worked in this industry for 40 years, I used to read, and understand, EU type approval details for Ford Transit chassis plates. Yet I cannot get my head round this on a VW?
*Shrugs*

Anybody? Help? I am drowning here...
What are you trying to do, change the vehicle from N1 to M1?

As I said above, I have been involved in the technical side of Aftersales, for over 40 years. I retired yesterday!
I know more than I want to about what makes an M1 as compared with N1.( !0G rated seats and restraints as against 20G are just one).
So I don't expect any simple guide to changing.
I just want to understand the legalities that apply to N1 classed Commercial Vehicles, that have Camper interiors fitted?
Different speed limits, different road tax, sort of thing.
I have been known to head up the M6 towards the Lakes, at 80mph. How much EXTRA grief does Plod give me, for it being a Van, not a Car?
I have no idea, but I think I should be aware of it, when buying such a vehicle.
I have a potential buyer who runs vans, and has asked me these questions. To which I can only reply, "I do not know?"...

I have been known to head up the M6 towards the Lakes, at 80mph. How much EXTRA grief does Plod give me, for it being a Van, not a Car?
Motorway speed limit for N1 is 70mph, unless towing (60mph) the same as M1, so you'll still be only 10mph over.

It's single carriageways (50mph) and dual carriageways (60mph) where N1's have a lower speed limit.

As I said above, I have been involved in the technical side of Aftersales, for over 40 years. I retired yesterday!
I know more than I want to about what makes an M1 as compared with N1.( !0G rated seats and restraints as against 20G are just one).
I just want to understand the legalities that apply to N1 classed Commercial Vehicles, that have Camper interiors fitted?
I have no idea, but I think I should be aware of it, when buying such a vehicle.
I have a potential buyer who runs vans, and has asked me these questions. To which I can only reply, "I do not know?"...
There’s a thousand page thread on this subject including the defence for any notice of intended prosecution if you have converted your van.

Please sit on the lid of Pandora’s box!!!

Here you go!

If it is a motor caravan, car speed limits apply, regardless of description on V5.

No need to read it now!

A lot of counties don’t give 10% leeway on speeding and be certain cameras know the difference between m1and n1
I got hit by the 40k threshold buying a shuttle too

Here you go!

If it is a motor caravan, car speed limits apply, regardless of description on V5.

No need to read it now!
CAB? THANK YOU.
Just what I needed to know, perfect. Mine was done in October 2019, hence the "Recent Change by DVLA" commetns at the time.
I knew I wasn't worried at the time, this reminds me.

You are a STAR!

Tim

Reactions: CAB
Back