Reversing Light Upgrades

image.jpgimage.jpg

I’m looking to fit an LED into my rear barn door, as the standard lights are useless…. Has anyone done anything similar, if so what did you do and did you encounter any difficulties?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tailgate not barn door. My advice would be to keep it simple and not install in the doors.
Also keeping it low means that drivers behind don’t get dazzled. The light I used is an approved ‘manoeuvring’ light so technically road legal.

Here’s a few photos, some taken with the bumper off.

LED light (Labcraft Scenelite) - Positive feed spliced to the reversing lamp positive feed on the inboard side of the nearside tail light / body grommet.
Dedicated grounding point is on the nearside tailgate guide bracket bolt, shown in photo, don’t ground through the common ground wire for the light cluster as the reversing light will flash when the indicators are on!

Garmin BC30 wifi camera unit is spliced in on the inboard side of the nearside tail light / body grommet. Positive to the reversing lamp positive feed and negative to the tail light common ground. Both wires are routed up the nearside D pillar and through the tailgate via the cramped tailgate cable boot.

The reversing light is mounted on a home made bracket under the nearside rear bumper. The bracket is bolted to the thin plastic trim which gives it some shock resilience on rough roads.

View attachment 54485

View attachment 54486

View attachment 54487

View attachment 54488

View attachment 54489

View attachment 54490

View attachment 54491

Being barn doors both lights should work (only one side lights up on the tailgate vans).

I upgraded the bulbs to LEDs which massively improved them.

I upgraded to THQ tail lights which have full LED clusters with twin reversing lights, made a huge difference

Being barn doors both lights should work (only one side lights up on the tailgate vans).

I upgraded the bulbs to LEDs which massively improved them.

both reversing lights work on mine and tailgate with OEM lights.

I would like to see them fitted.
I was thinking off adding white work lights to the rear of my van to help loading the my race car onto the trailer at night. It would also be good to be able to turn them on quickly when driving at night, just so I can see nothing is moving on the trailer. Obviously I wouldn't use them when someone is behind me.

Back