Resistors for LED indicator bulbs

Looked at mine and is mine set to 11?
zZUTiPD.jpg

which means is 27/27/5W = 59?

Great thanks. I will order, try them and report back.

It's a small thing hyperflash, but gets annoying over time!

My resistors finally arrived after being on back order. They were much larger than I expected but I managed to house them on the inside edge of the rear light clusters and they have indeed solved my hyperflash. Thanks for your help with this @Robert :)

Looked at mine and is mine set to 11?
View attachment 103591

which means is 27/27/5W = 59?
No, that is incorrect.
10 = 21/16/5 W - total of 42 W is your indicator wattage setup.
Bits are always counted in each Byte from right to left starting with "zero" and ending with "seven".

Reactions: mmi
I've done my calculations:
P = U x I ---> I = P / U = 27W / 14.5V = 1.8620A ===> R = U / I = 14.5V / 1.8620A = 7.78Ω

So i think these would be fine:

Your calculations would be perfect if you were planning to replace your original bulb with resistor only :whistle:.

Also you have used incorrect base wattage of 27W instead of 21W.

What is the wattage of your original filament bulb?
You should be able to read it of the bulb itself.

Additionally you forgot to subtract the real wattage of your new LED from the original 21W ;).

Well its a standard bulb: Toshiba 12V WY16W and based on the coding assumed its a 21W bulb, my LED is a 7.5W bulb so i did:
21-7.5 = 13.5. But then what i did was times it by 2 as it was said needed for both sides so that became 27W, i thought i just use 1 resistor but would i need 2 resistors?

P = U x I ---> I = P / U = 13.5W / 14.5V = 0.9310A ===> R = U / I = 14.5V / 0.9310A = 15.57Ω

Or am i just doing it all completely wrong? Why cant these vans just be simple.

I am trying my best to be as helpful as possible.

You need one resistor for each side and if your new LED bulb wattage is as per above than your calculations are now correct.

I am trying my best to be as helpful as possible.

You need one resistor for each side and if your new LED bulb wattage is as per above than your calculations are now correct.
Oh i know Robert, i was venting at myself and not understanding the calculations properly, same with the hex coding and all that!

so do i go:

or

Last edited:
I have read the thread and my issue is on the side Repeaters - according to the fault light on the dash .... and the first time it happened the near side Repater had stopped working.
Since then. Start of journey all indicators worked fine, no double timing on Indicator. After an hour, then invariably we get the Double timing inside the Van and Fault light, BUT when we check all indicators - ALL WORKING OK.

The side repeaters are After Market as are the headlights and rear lights.
It was mentioned that this could be a "Resistor" needs fitting to fool the system?
I am a novice and would just like to solve this problem. Is it best to revert to the basic Repeaters .... any help and please keep it simple.
Gents I have tagged you - I hope you don't mind.
@Robert @drooke

What's your 09BCM Byte 18 hex value?
What year is your van?
What headlamps have you got(H4, twin H7, LED)?
And what is the wattage of you new repeaters?

What's your 09BCM Byte 18 hex value?
What year is your van?
What headlamps have you got(H4, twin H7, LED)?
And what is the wattage of you new repeaters?
Hi @Robert This is what I do Know in Uppercase below.
What's your 09BCM Byte 18 hex value? SORRY DONT KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS? I HAVE NO ACCESS TO ANY ELCTRONIC TOOLS.
What year is your van? DEC 19
What headlamps have you got(H4, twin H7, LED)? LEDS Running - will check tomorrow AM on Headlights.
And what is the wattage of you new repeaters? 5W.
Does the above help. Thanks Paul.

Where are you based? I have vcds which is the program you need to get the information Robert asked in the first question. Im in Manchester if thats any use.
Many thanks Sam, do appreciate the offer. Unfortunately I am near Stamford, Lincs. Many ThanksPaul

What was your factory setup(headlamps type & tail lights)?
As your lights are not OEM you have to get the wattage of each indicator(front, side, rear).
You might be able to read it from the back of each light(should be stamped but I am not sure as these are aftermarket).
Alternatively you could measure it yourself or ask your seller/manufacturer.

Back