Replace the Diesel Particulate Filter

lakes10

So we’ve been told we need to replace the DPF filter on our 2015 T6 (we are currently touring Germany when the fault occurred) the engine management light / diesel particulate filter and flashing Emmission control lights came on. We’ve pulled over and are in a VW garage who are saying we need a new dpf (which we’ve agreed too) the vans only done 28k I’ve read a thread we’re it says this is a known VW fault - can anyone point me in the direction where I could find this information as I’m hoping I may be able to claim under the consumer rights act.

If the flashing warning light s have just done this for the first time, they should try a forced regeneration and see if the ash mass will clear.

Blocking of the DPF is caused by lots of short journeys that have prevented passive regeneration from occurring.

I had an issue with a faulty DPF pressure sensor and that caused mine t stop regenerations and VW Assist changed mine outside my house and then carried out a forced regeneration and that cleared it.

Apparently they tried this but has gone passed a forced Regen - there saying it needs a full replacement DPF

Hi Loz - wonder if you can help - so we had the DPF filter changed (was a fortune) anyway about 500 miles later the dpf light came on again (did go off relatively quickly) Spoke to the garage (in Germany) who have told us to go to local VW garage and have a diagnostic test.
Would you say it was normal to have to perform this so soon after a new filter??

Hi Loz - wonder if you can help - so we had the DPF filter changed (was a fortune) anyway about 500 miles later the dpf light came on again (did go off relatively quickly) Spoke to the garage (in Germany) who have told us to go to local VW garage and have a diagnostic test.
Would you say it was normal to have to perform this so soon after a new filter??
It would seem unusual to get a warning light for the same issue, but that seems what they want to ascertain.

Where are you located?

I was thinking that you might be able to visit a member who has VCDS so we can see the faults and make a judgement.

If the fault is a sensor and this was also the original fault, then the DPF may not have needed to be changed but also it may have caused it so should have been a warranty repair.

Is a forced regen something that can only be find at a dealer or can it be done any other way. Vcds for example.

I was thinking that you might be able to visit a member who has VCDS so we can see the faults and make a judgement.

If the fault is a sensor and this was also the original fault, then the DPF may not have needed to be changed but also it may have caused it so should have been a warranty repair.

So we’ve taken the van to local VW garage this morning - will take a look at the van next week, however I did ask what would cause the problem to have a DPF filter fitted after 28k miles and he said probably a faulty sensor. I asked if we could then claim from VW if the sensor was found to be faulty before the warranty ran out and he said no; unfortunately VW customer services isn’t reall that good for commercial vehicles.
Can you offer any advice ?
Cheers

You can clean DPF’s out by reverse flushing to clear the ash residue out of the matrix.
It needs to be removed from the vehicle to do this but could be a cheaper alternative to a new DPF, some have had DIY success with a good pressure washer.

Think I need yo try this as Im having to drive 30 to 40 miles on the motorway in 4th Gear to clean mine once a week are they easy enough to remove for flushing ie within reason for a decent home mechanic

I would certainly have a go at it myself, just spray any bolts/nuts/fasteners with some plus gas a few hours before starting to help them come undone more easily and take plenty of photos to make sure everything goes back on in the right places.

I have loss of power and engine management light on and coil light flashing so I knew it was probably the particular filter again.
Had it blown out as vw Nottingham had my van for 6 weeks and couldn’t get me one!
Hasn’t worked for more than two months as already I’m back with the same problem.

Anyone had a new one and not £2500 at vw please.

Also RAC have just tried a manual blow out and it hasn’t worked.
And glow plugs need help too

F458CE3A-0116-447B-BF9B-70EF0313010D.png

Back