Renogy lithium battery dead on the road - help needed!!

yeah, but going forward, the Optimate would be useless to you in the future as a EHU charger for your battery.
Oh see your point... Hmm... Well like I say we can live without lights and coolbox for another few days if we need to, just want to make sure I have a plan for getting this thing working again and hope I haven't caused any serious long term damage to the battery....

It does sound like it the BMS is in a safe mode, Im not sure if you have an isolating switch, but i'd be turning that off and connecting a Lithium charger to reset it, Renogy do a AC lithium charger, as do Victron

The dc-dc has shut down with no output because it can't the the lithium battery voltage.

Thats happened becausebyiu run the battery too flat.

You need to reactivate the battery with and external charge source.

Ie a jumplead.

You need to give the lithium a charge source to reactivate.

That charge sourse should also activate the dc-dc.

So get a single jumper cable...

And bridge the Renogy +12v starter side over the the +12v put put side.... and hold for 5 to ten seconds. (With engine running)

This temp bridge will hopefully reactivate everything.

The dc-dc has shut down with no output because it can't the the lithium battery voltage.

Ie a jumplead.

And bridge the Renogy +12v starter side over the the +12v put put side.... and hold for 5 to ten seconds. (With engine running)

Sorry Dell, I'm being stupid... Because both battery and charger are Renogy I'm not completely sure what you mean and dont want to fry it...so just to double check you mean bridge from the input side of the Renogy box (cable coming from the starter battery) to the negative terminal on the leisure battery?

Ie a jumplead.

This sounds really dangerous, and I’m not sure I’d follow this unless you really understand what you’re doing (and it sounds like you don’t). Aside from being a bit unclear, it sounds like Dell is suggesting effectively directly connecting the starter battery to the leisure battery. Doing this you have no current control to your lithium leisure battery, which opens up all sorts of dangerous/damaging issues.

The lithium compatible mains charger idea sounds like the best bet so far.

...so just to double check you mean bridge from the input side of the Renogy box (cable coming from the starter battery) to the negative terminal on the leisure battery?
NO stop dont do that! (did you get this in time?) :)

Sorry Dell, I'm being stupid... Because both battery and charger are Renogy I'm not completely sure what you mean and dont want to fry it...so just to double check you mean bridge from the input side of the Renogy box (cable coming from the starter battery) to the negative terminal on the leisure battery?

No. Positive to positive.

But as above if your not sure what your doing take it passed that shop.

They will either throw a charger on the battery.... or use a jump cable.

Keep us posted how you get on.

No. Positive to positive.

But as above if your not sure what your doing take it passed that shop.

They will either throw a charger on the battery.... or use a jump cable.

Keep us posted how you get on.
Got the message on time, don't worry doing something like that would require me to know exactly what I'm doing and as you can tell, I clearly don't!

I'll get to the battery guys an hour away some point tomorrow. Im assuming it can wait i.e. spending time in limp mode won't do any further damage than it already has... Presumably it's in this mode to protect it.

Again, thanks for the advice guys, youve been amazing as always!

Will report back tomorrow when we get to the battery place.

Thinking ahead to electric hook up setup, this Renogy charger mentions lithium activation but looks like it's only available in the US.

I'll look at the victron kit and see if theirs has the correct profile and features.

Any 240v charger that hax z lithium profile will work..

Its just 14.2v and above low amps for a while. Then the battery will start charging.

I’ve got the victron IP65 12/15 to take care of the 240 charging on this system. The victron documents state lithium capable.

If you are interested, when you are back in Manchester, I have this for sale that will stop you flattening the battery again.

Plus as a bonus I am in Manchester so can fit it for you.

If you are interested, when you are back in Manchester, I have this for sale that will stop you flattening the battery again.

Plus as a bonus I am in Manchester so can fit it for you.
Will probably take you up on that, will give you a shout when we get back next week and see if you still have it.

Update:

We're back in business, big thanks to @DXX for the suggestion of BBL Batteries. We headed there first thing this morning, Mark there was fantastic, can't recommend them enough. We dropped the battery in, he put it on charge for me for a couple of hours, had lunch and watched a film in the van. 2hrs later, battery back in, connected up and it's charging from the alternator again.

He even loaned me a spanner to get the drivers seat out, all he wanted was a fiver but was sure to tip him more.

Battery was down to 10.8v and now up to 12.3v. Will Keep the loads disconnected until it's fully charged and even then only run the lights...the coolbox is staying on the sidelines!

Huge thanks guys, you got me out of a right pickle and we can crack on with the rest of the week without the worry of a bricked £700 battery.

Monitor, low voltage disconnect and compresser fridge all on the shopping list for next week.

20200819_134555.jpg

Ha ha, small world, I did some work for them, driving a van delivering batteries when they were known as Bristol Batteries in Newfoundland Road.

heres some back ground for you:

heres some back ground for you:

The victron 12/15 is due to arrive today, the smart protect later this week and the Renogy monitor hopefully by the end of the month...

Just need to find a spare £500-600 for the fridge now!!

@Rapt0rUK

you can get a cheaper fridge . . . . . .

or you looking at a fitted upright?

@Rapt0rUK

you can get a cheaper fridge . . . . . .

or you looking at a fitted upright?
We did have our eye on the Waeco/Domestic CRX50 (as our current kitchen furniture has a space made for it) but will have a good look through your thread at the alternatives..

Quick question for you on the Smart Battery Protect...

With a lithium setup will that actually do the job?

I recall your thread about battery monitoring and the reasons why those little Bluetooth monitors (BM2) are less helpful for lithium... If I understand correctly volt meters aren't that useful for lithium because they maintain a fairly steady voltage output until they're depleted Vs AGM etc which slowly degrade over the time of discharge...

I can see in the documentation it mentions a lithium mode:

A special setting for Li-ion batteries -

In this mode the BatteryProtect can be controlled by the VE.Bus BMS. Note: the BatteryProtect can also be used as a charge interrupter in between a battery charger and a Li-ion battery. See connection diagram in the manual.

Not sure what that means when it says it can be controlled by the VE.Bus BMS??

they are referring to the Victron eco system VE.Bus BMS system . . .

which doesn't apply if you plan on using one stand alone or if using a non victron lithium battery . . .

also the smart victron battery protect is a one way device with regards to current flow . . . . so you can one to shut off outgoing power to loads, . . . or shut off incoming charge power . . . . . . but not both . . . . so to shut off outgoing loads, the charger needs to be behind it.

and correct a volt meter is always usfull . . . but with the battery keeping a steady output you need a current shunt monitor to keep track of the SOC of a lithium battery.

Back