Removing Rivnuts

minieggs

VIP Member
Hello,

I have an ex-RAC van where I've removed all of the racking, however there's a load of rivnuts left in some of the holes. Annoyingly, they are where the ply panels will mount, and also some where I'll be carpeting and they stand proud.

What's the best way to remove these? My first thought it to drill them out like regular rivets, but I'm worried I'll damage the existing holes and the panel clips won't fit. Google seems to only talk about little ones for bike frames. Has anyone had any experience of getting these out?

Cheers!

PXL_20230513_105607305.jpg

PXL_20230513_105612361.jpg

If anyone in the future searches this - make 100% sure you can retrieve the back bit before blindly drilling it.

One got stuck between two skins. Other ones I pushed across and out with some flex cable, but this one got stuck on some bracket (found it with an inspection camera). I've ordered a telescopic magnet and grabber to hopefully retrieve it...

Hey mate.
Have the same issue with loads of rivnuts from racking that's been removed.
How exactly did you drill them out? Novice DIYer here
Just basically took a drill bit to it. You just want to drill through so that the back and front sections come apart - they are only thin.

Don't press too hard, and after a few seconds it'll break free. If it's not drilled dead straight it'll start spinning as it's broken free but not completely come away from the back part. - in that case I used a pair of pliers to squeeze the remaining bit so it'll fit back through the hole.

Just basically took a drill bit to it. You just want to drill through so that the back and front sections come apart - they are only thin.

Don't press too hard, and after a few seconds it'll break free. If it's not drilled dead straight it'll start spinning as it's broken free but not completely come away from the back part. - in that case I used a pair of pliers to squeeze the remaining bit so it'll fit back through the hole.
Thanks. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Got a 13mm bit for it now

Back