Relay clicking sound from under dash when reversing camera on

cgtmiles

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I replaced the rear lights yesterday with THQ sequential ones and tested all lights after and all was working fine but this morning when I went to move the van the reversing camera didn’t come on and instead there was a clicking sound from under the centre of the dash (above the fuse box). When selecting reverse with only the ignition on and not the engine running it works fine but if you then start the engine the clicking gradually increases volume again but the camera stays on. The reversing light still works and the parking sensors still work.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The camera is an aftermarket one with a module under the glove box, the noise is not originating in there. It sounds like a relay chattering maybe.

I have just connected up Carista and got error 03431 activation of left parking light. As I had non LED lights originally I believe I only had a reversing light on the near side (passenger side) and the same is true on the THQ lights. When it says “left” does that mean when looking from the rear? If so this is working.

I cleared the fault and restarted the engine and the problem reoccurred but the fault code has not come back (yet).

I believe this is the source of the issue which seems to supply the Rev camera module. Not sure if it serves any other purpose. Can anyone confirm that this is non standard? It’s screwed up to the right of the glove box (picture taken with the glove box removed).
96113DAF-8837-4427-A198-1E903755E206.jpeg
I guess the change to an LED reversing light has messed up the feed so maybe I need to find one with a different spec. Any input on this would be gratefully received as I’m well out of my depth here, cheers

Last edited:
That relay is definitely not standard. Try dropping your original lamp back in and see if the issue disappears.

Thanks for the response, I think putting the originals back will clear the problem. I’ve spoken to the guy who installed the camera and he has recommended replacing the relay with one with a diode. So I will try that once I can get one and see if that helps

I went and stood in the cold today with the covids to get a new relay, then reversed onto the drive when I got home and the stupid thing was working perfectly!!:mad:

So although it did it every single time I selected reverse before buying the relay it now seems it’s an intermittent issue, not great for fault finding! So I followed the mantra of don’t fix if it ain’t broke I boldly left the new relay in the glove box to see what happens next time

Wonder if it's temperature related? Try warming up the reversing light with a hairdryer and see if it fails again? It's been noticebly cooler today than previous days?

Good idea, cheers. And if so I will have to save all my reversing for cool days :rofl:

I have now fitted the new relay (with diode) and it seems to be working fine. I’ve not had much chance to test it but so far 100% pass rate!:)

Back