Reimo roof - plastic inserts - should they be bent?

18T6

T6 Pro
Hi, I’ve just spotted our roof has these plastic inserts and I’m not sure if they should bent or not.

Has anyone else got one and can confirm? If they need flattening I’m sure I could gently heat but if I need to replace what are they called? and where can I buy please.

Cheers

IMG_4545.jpegIMG_4544.jpeg

They shouldn’t be bent, just warm them gently and straighten them out. No need to renew.
Nice one, wonder what bent them…

I’ll try warming in front of diesel heater. Short ones are in the top with angle matching roof pitch right? Thank you.

Nice one, wonder what bent them…

I’ll try warming in front of diesel heater. Short ones are in the top with angle matching roof pitch right? Thank you.
In my experience, they are subject to bending when they do not fold IN TOWARDS > < the centre of the Van. Any force when done otherwise can cause bending. I now face rearward and observe the folding when initially pulling down the Pop Top. If starting to fold incorrectly, just release and start again. A slight prompt to assist from outside by a helper may prove useful if windy.

To double check, before securing the roof for transit, ensure the black seal on the base of the Pop Top is flush with the Van body all the way round.

In my experience, they are subject to bending when they do not fold IN TOWARDS > < the centre of the Van. Any force when done otherwise can cause bending. I now face rearward and observe the folding when initially pulling down the Pop Top. If starting to fold incorrectly, just release and start again. A slight prompt to assist from outside by a helper may prove useful if windy.

To double check, before securing the roof for transit, ensure the black seal on the base of the Pop Top is flush with the Van body all the way round.
Perfect reply thanks

IMG_4547.jpeg
While on this topic, the scissor mechanism showed signs rust a bit soon for what I’d expect from an established manufacturer, but we are now about 5 years old and so may get them powder coated if that’s the best thing?

But can the top and bottom brackets that are bolted to the roof and van be removed? Ie captive so I can take whole metal unit to be coated or would those bits need painting in situ?

Lay them on a flat surface & pour a kettle of boiling water over them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DXX
the scissor mechanism showed signs rust a bit soon
That’s an understatement!
They can be removed but hell of a DIY job, ideally lift the roof off.
The loading from the struts can cause these brackets to move and cause mis-alignment when the roof is in the lowered position. The converter who did my van rectified this by bonding the bracket in place with Sikalex and using one long screw in addition to the short ones.
I’d be tempted to clean up the corrosion in place, yes it will take a lot of masking and protection but quicker and easier in the long run than removing. Hammerite No1 Rust Beater (brush application) is the best primer i’ve found for situations like this.

That’s an understatement!
They can be removed but hell of a DIY job, ideally lift the roof off.
The loading from the struts can cause these brackets to move and cause mis-alignment when the roof is in the lowered position. The converter who did my van rectified this by bonding the bracket in place with Sikalex and using one long screw in addition to the short ones.
I’d be tempted to clean up the corrosion in place, yes it will take a lot of masking and protection but quicker and easier in the long run than removing. Hammerite No1 Rust Beater (brush application) is the best primer i’ve found for situations like this.
When we picked up our van 7 years ago, the converter told to annually place an old towel between the scissor hinge mechanism & the canvas, and give the mechanism a good spray with silicone, which we have done. Our hinges are as new.

When we picked up our van 7 years ago, the converter told to annually place an old towel between the scissor hinge mechanism & the canvas, and give the mechanism a good spray with silicone, which we have done. Our hinges are as new.

Our converter probably said the same, and I didn’t take it all in…

not sure if anyone has done one but a regular maintenance and common easy fix guide / booklet would be amazing - converters are really helpful but there’s only so many niggles they’ve capacity to answer

Our converter probably said the same, and I didn’t take it all in…

not sure if anyone has done one but a regular maintenance and common easy fix guide / booklet would be amazing - converters are really helpful but there’s only so many niggles they’ve capacity to answer
Campervans are like boats, designed to keep you busy.

View attachment 237805
While on this topic, the scissor mechanism showed signs rust a bit soon for what I’d expect from an established manufacturer, but we are now about 5 years old and so may get them powder coated if that’s the best thing?

But can the top and bottom brackets that are bolted to the roof and van be removed? Ie captive so I can take whole metal unit to be coated or would those bits need painting in situ?
Mine are starting to head the same way (just over 5 years old), not as bad as that yet, but I’ve been thinking of how to treat them? I might get away with just rubbing some ACF50 or XCP on them for now to hopefully stop them getting too bad.

Mine are starting to head the same way (just over 5 years old), not as bad as that yet, but I’ve been thinking of how to treat them? I might get away with just rubbing some ACF50 or XCP on them for now to hopefully stop them getting too bad.
guess it's coz we like the salty seaside, but outside school hols, so that means wild and windy... although i eventually give the van a wash when we get back, it hasn't crossed my mind to pop the lid and give some tlc until now...

Back