Reimo Multi Rail Installation

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I am going to be fitting a Reimo multi rail this weekend, do I need to put primer on the back of the rail ? or can I just use Sikoflex 221 on its own ? if I require a primer can anyone recommend one please reimo1.JPG reimo2.JPG ? If required I was hoping to pick some up from our local screwfix

I think the sika is only there to seal the rail to the van. The screws hold it in place.

Is this stuff from screwfix ok for sealing the reimo rail ? Whats the difference between the sikaflex 221 and the stuff that screwfix are selling ?Screenshot_20190730-202123_Chrome.jpg

is this any good to you?
Yes i have watched that, unfortunately i think Rob uses sikaflex 221 but the stuff i have seen at screenfix is sikaflex but a different type. He also uses primer , whether that it necessary i am totally unsure? If the rail is held down by screws then why is primer required?

Not actually done it myself as still waiting of delivery of my van... also had this video - which you may have already come across...

Not actually done it myself as still waiting of delivery of my van... also had this video - which you may have already come across...
Yes watched that one too, i see they also use primer. The sikaflex flex primer is £35 a bottle from kiravans. Does anyone know of a cheaper primer thst will fo the job ?

I've bought the correct sikaflex and primer from kiravans, can't see the point in skimping on something so important.

Re. the screws, I'd say they are there just to hold it in place whilst the sikaflex cures and the bond is where the majority of the strength will be not just a few self tappers.

I've bought the correct sikaflex and primer from kiravans, can't see the point in skimping on something so important.

Re. the screws, I'd say they are there just to hold it in place whilst the sikaflex cures and the bond is where the majority of the strength will be not just a few self tappers.
Fair point :thumbsup:

Primer not needed but it can be for belt and braces job. You can key van and rail to help adhesion. There should be instructions in the spoiler packaging. Use a polyurethane adhesive.
Or get a company to do it for you:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reimo rail fitted, I went for the belt and braces option and used the Sika Primer. I think I was meant to have some black screws in the pack for the final fix but all I had was self tappers 20190804_130935.jpg 20190804_130945.jpg 20190804_130953.jpg 20190804_131005.jpg ?

Do people really screw these straight onto their bodywork??? I cringed at the thought of it. Surely sikaflex will be enough?

Reactions: DXX
Do people really screw these straight onto their bodywork??? I cringed at the thought of it. Surely sikaflex will be enough?
Screws are required to flex the rail to the shape of the van. They come straight.

I'd expect a proper shaped rail that doesn't require me to screw into my bodywork for £200 :eek::rofl:

With a few people it should be possible to use ratchet straps to clamp the rail in place. If possible practise on someone else's van first!

Just to clarify and not to split hairs ;) some of the rails are shaped to match the van profile from front to back and up and down VW T5/T6. There are different part numbers for each van. However, some rails are straight T4 for example but they can be bent to suit the van. Bear in mind however that even the pre bent rails are still screwed.

I really don’t see the concern with screwing - this is the correct way as the manufacturer intended. Of course, you can second guess these instructions at your peril!!

Good luck,
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back