Regen Light Avoidance

Only had my T6 150 for a few weeks and only covered around 250 miles. (20k on the clock) Most of my distance is short journeys. Annual mileage is always around 3 -4k as I work away a lot. Not yet had the experience of the Regen light. I did once hear the fan working after I switched her off, I now assume that was something to do with the regen.
My question is, with me only doing generally short distances should I be pro-active and periodically, once a week maybe, put her in Sport mode and drive on a suitable road for 15-20 mins around >2,000 RPMs.
If it is necessary fair enough but as previous threads have said, goes against the norm for me, relaxed driving, wasted fuel, added miles, etc etc.

Typically a regen is carried out twice per full tank of fuel, mine seems to happen around 1/3 and 2/3 full. The tick over increases to 1000rpm and you’ll also notice that the engine sounds different. This is the time to stick it in sport and keep the revs up. Any other time won’t make a difference. If you hear the fans stay on when you turn the engine off then the van was part way through a regen and will try to regen again next time you drive.

Only had my T6 150 for a few weeks and only covered around 250 miles. (20k on the clock) Most of my distance is short journeys. Annual mileage is always around 3 -4k as I work away a lot. Not yet had the experience of the Regen light. I did once hear the fan working after I switched her off, I now assume that was something to do with the regen.
My question is, with me only doing generally short distances should I be pro-active and periodically, once a week maybe, put her in Sport mode and drive on a suitable road for 15-20 mins around >2,000 RPMs.
If it is necessary fair enough but as previous threads have said, goes against the norm for me, relaxed driving, wasted fuel, added miles, etc etc.
The light that comes on isn’t to say that it’s doing a regen, my understanding is that it’s displaying an error because it was unable to do one. Keep your tank above a quarter full and you’ll be fine as long as your journeys aren’t always under 20 mins. Mine’s coming up to 3 yrs old in Feb and the error light has never come on.
It’s overblown a lot on here, just don’t worry about it and get on with your life :)

I did 85k in my Euro 5 A6 with DPF and another 11k in my Euro 6 T6 and I’ve never seen the light.

I've done about 4k since buying mine, never noticed any indication of a regeneration and never seen the light on. Same with my previous car, a diesel with dpf, and I did 50k in that. There are many thousands of diesel engined cars with diesel particulate filters, most must be trouble free or the garages would be full of them.

every 200 miles it will do a regen, I do a lot of short journeys if I pull up and the idle is up to nearly 1000rpm and sounds rough I just sit there for 5 minutes with the throttle pedal pressed and then see if the rpm has dropped back to 900, if not, I do it for a bit longer until the idle has dropped then I switch it off.

every 200 miles it will do a regen, I do a lot of short journeys if I pull up and the idle is up to nearly 1000rpm and sounds rough I just sit there for 5 minutes with the throttle pedal pressed and then see if the rpm has dropped back to 900, if not, I do it for a bit longer until the idle has dropped then I switch it off.

I do that, but I’m never convinced as to whether the regen has completed successfully, or whether the regen has just stopped as the van detects it’s not going anywhere and just stops the process.

Touch wood, I’ve not had any issues.

Mine is a 150 and seems to do it normally around every 150 miles. Just had one of my worst tank full with only 340 miles on tank before light came on. That was 3 regens for that tank :(

My regen seems to last for 2 journeys of about 25-30 miles each time. It’s 15 miles my usual journey and not sitting in traffic apart from a couple of red lights.
Do you think then loz if still doing a regen on the 1st journey that if leaving it running for 5 mins with foot slightly on throttle it may complete the regen with just the one journey?
Also Loz and spaghettiboy would you still do this method if it just starts to decide to do a regen a mile or two before getting home?

I’m pulling my hair out with it :eek:

My regen seems to last for 2 journeys of about 25-30 miles each time. It’s 15 miles my usual journey and not sitting in traffic apart from a couple of red lights.
Do you think then loz if still doing a regen on the 1st journey that if leaving it running for 5 mins with foot slightly on throttle it may complete the regen with just the one journey?
Also Loz and spaghettiboy would you still do this method if it just starts to decide to do a regen a mile or two before getting home?

I’m pulling my hair out with it :eek:

I’ve come back home before and noticed it was re-genning and have left the engine on, dropped off the people/shopping/whatever and gone back out again to finish it up.

I would always try and finish it whenever I can. I have accidentally turned if off before when I’ve got home and in those cases, I just leave it.

my driving cycles normally mean I do long journeys, so don’t normally have an issue.

I’d love a button that you could press to start a regen, and therefore you could start it when you knew you were out for a while.

The light that comes on isn’t to say that it’s doing a regen, my understanding is that it’s displaying an error because it was unable to do one. Keep your tank above a quarter full and you’ll be fine as long as your journeys aren’t always under 20 mins. Mine’s coming up to 3 yrs old in Feb and the error light has never come on.
It’s overblown a lot on here, just don’t worry about it and get on with your life :)
My light first came on at 900 miles, after about 800 miles over two days. Its a real pain if you get one that keeps throwing the EML, mine did 5 times in 10k. Others have had similar.
Software update seems to have sorted it.

Since I’ve had mine, I’ve done 5000+ miles and never seen the light on. I’ve heard the fan giving it some when I’ve pulled up before but still no light??

89k and still never noticed a regen, and believe me I know what to look for. Mainly motorway driving though, so probably that’s why.

The light only comes on when the dpf sensors sense the dpf is 40% full. You will get this light of you have below a quarter of a tank of fuel and are doing alot of short slow journeys and the ecu can't force regen.
Just fill up, go for a long drive and it will go out.
An auto forced regen starts around 30% full on the dpf. Someone correct me on those figures if wrong.

Some of you lot are really over thinking it.

If your van is in a regen and you finish a journey before it finishes a regen just let the ecu carry it on with the next journey.

Sitting and idling the van for 10 minutes or more will do more damage than an interrupted regen since here is no load on the engine the ECU will have to use so much more unburned diesel through the system to keep exhaust gas temps high enough to burn the dpf soot and complete a regen. No point wasting more fuel just revving the engine at a stand still, you might as well waste it whilst you are moving and putting load on the engine.
3 Regen's per tank. Every 120miles. Ish.....a regen lasts about 15-20miles on a 150 Euro 6.

Reactions: mmi
Only twice in 33k miles have I had the DPF light come on. The first time, after allowing the van to idle for a while. The second after some city driving where the tank started with the fuel light on and dropped to empty over the journey. Both practices I now avoid. Deliberately light on the loafer though, with short journeys.

Specifically for T6 accumulated soot values in the DPF are:
  • less than 6 grams after a complete regen
  • no later than at 25 grams start of active regen
  • at 30 grams DPF light on
  • at 40 grams DPF light on + flashing coil light -> need for a forced workshop regen
  • at 50 grams of soot point of no return - replacement of the particulate filter needed
  • fuel low light inhibits active regen
More on pages 60..64 in ---> SSP 514 – The New EA288 Diesel Engine Family

My regen statistics :geek: at ---> T6Forum - Fan-atical

I’d love a button that you could press to start a regen, and therefore you could start it when you knew you were out for a while.
The button - a T6.1 factory option "9HC" - however only N1 -class vans (panel vans?) 66-110kW engines with manual transmission, 605 € o_O.

I will never put supermarket fuel in mine but with the T6 carrying out regen’s 2-3 times per tank normally would you be wasting your time going for an optimum fuel like shell V-power if getting burnt off quite consistently?

Back