Fan-atical

The fans will only run after switching the engine on if you stopped the engine part way through an active a regen.

If you compete a regen cycle whilst driving then the fans won't come on after you stop.

The fans will only run after switching the engine on if you stopped the engine part way through an active a regen.

If you compete a regen cycle whilst driving then the fans won't come on after you stop.

Mine runs on pretty much every day and I tend to drive up and down the UK, so no real short journeys. Are you saying that it will still Regen this often?

I do that a day and drive like a teenager in a Vauxhall Nova. I guess that's why it's always re-genning then

Should be the other way round, the harder you drive it the less it needs to regen as you burn off the crap in normal driving. Full throttle up a two mile hill would be ideal...

In a diesel the accelerator doesn't control airflow like a petrol engine, you control the injectors and how much they open. If youre flat out everywhere you run more diesel and create more sut.
Yes you generate more heat but not enough to counteract the sut from diesel burn that gets collected.

The ppf in new petrols get burned of passivly as petrol burns hotter naturally. So petrols will rarely need to actively regenerate.

I was under the impression that dialling in a few revs from time to time was good for diesels. I must admit, I tend to drive as smoothly and without drama as I can. I often wonder, is there an optimum way of driving a modern diesel.....short trips are obviously a no no. How the hell do courier companies manage in the stop n start world in which they operate?

I was under the impression that dialling in a few revs from time to time was good for diesels. I must admit, I tend to drive as smoothly and without drama as I can. I often wonder, is there an optimum way of driving a modern diesel.....short trips are obviously a no no. How the hell do courier companies manage in the stop n start world in which they operate?

This is partly why modern diesels annoy me. Pre 2010ish they got really good then they decided strangling them with unsustainable emissions rubbish was okay and reliability took a nose dive.

This is partly why modern diesels annoy me. Pre 2010ish they got really good then they decided strangling them with unsustainable emissions rubbish was okay and reliability took a nose dive.
Ya know what Polzeylad.....for a time a few years back, I was making a mental note whenever I saw a modern car broken down at the roadside. I have to say, it seemed as though diesels were the worst offenders. I love my van, I really do.....I'm a confirmed petrol head and dislike diesel engines with a passion. I wasn't taken in by all that crap a few years back where the government espoused the virtues of diesel.....honestly, I could sort of see this coming. Modern diesels are just too "fussy".....I'm fortunate, I like to walk so never do short journeys anyway.....but come on, these things are so fickle it's untrue!! Would I have a petrol T6.....nope.....they don't seem to be ideally matched from what I'm reading. What's the answer 'cos I'm b*ggared if I know! Anyway, like I said....I love my Kombi! Make of that what you will.....not sure I know what I'm trying to say there?!
:thumbsup:

Ya know what Polzeylad.....for a time a few years back, I was making a mental note whenever I saw a modern car broken down at the roadside. I have to say, it seemed as though diesels were the worst offenders. I love my van, I really do.....I'm a confirmed petrol head and dislike diesel engines with a passion. I wasn't taken in by all that crap a few years back where the government espoused the virtues of diesel.....honestly, I could sort of see this coming. Modern diesels are just too "fussy".....I'm fortunate, I like to walk so never do short journeys anyway.....but come on, these things are so fickle it's untrue!! Would I have a petrol T6.....nope.....they don't seem to be ideally matched from what I'm reading. What's the answer 'cos I'm b*ggared if I know! Anyway, like I said....I love my Kombi! Make of that what you will.....not sure I know what I'm trying to say there?!
:thumbsup:

I know where you’re coming from; I went totally anti diesel after a few shockers including our last Cali but the T6 seemed different enough to warrant one last try. It’s far quieter, significantly more powerful and better on fuel but those fan hissy fits still annoy the hell out of me; none of that nonsense in our two petrol cars; you just get in them and drive them any distance you want.

Well after driving from Shrewsbury to Luton and back all within the same day and 99% of the 300 mile trip was on motorway averaging 80mph. Pulled onto the drive at home and the van goes into a Regen ???:confused:

Well after driving from Shrewsbury to Luton and back all within the same day and 99% of the 300 mile trip was on motorway averaging 80mph. Pulled onto the drive at home and the van goes into a Regen ???:confused:
@Lord Mfwic …..mine only ever does journeys in excess of 20 miles....ok, not a long journey as such, but definitely no short journeys....and mine seems to do it all the time. I drove 150 miles to Northumberland....70mph up the A1....and mine was regenning. I've given up trying to work out the why's and wherefor's….I just let it do its thing.

Maybe a good spot for some supporting statistics extracted from a EU6 150PS engine.

Last 88 regens:
Shortest interval 160 km (100 miles),
in average 270 km (168 miles),
longest 431 km (268 miles).
The interval is from end-to-end so each including about 20 mins of regen. The time in regen seems to be almost constant.​

For the above majority of my driving was 30km in the morning and the same back in the evening. Obviously when doing shorter runs you get regens more often and doing longer runs, or actually speedier runs, less regens.
EDIT: The standard run above 30 km's, 30 mins, no other traffic, max speed 85 km/h.

To stretch regen period over 400 km I need to keep speedo at about 120 km/h (75mph).

Last edited:
Maybe a good spot for some supporting statistics extracted from a EU6 150PS engine.

Last 88 regens:
Shortest interval 160 km (100 miles),
in average 270 km (168 miles),
longest 431 km (268 miles).
The interval is from end-to-end so each including about 20 mins of regen. The time in regen seems to be almost constant.​

For the above majority of my driving was 30km in the morning and the same back in the evening. Obviously when doing shorter runs you get regens more often and doing longer runs, or actually speedier runs, less regens.
EDIT: The standard run above 30 km's, 30 mins, no other traffic, max speed 85 km/h.

To stretch regen period over 400 km I need to keep speedo at about 120 km/h (75mph).
How do u know when its regenning? Does that mean fan kicks in?

I've just bought a new transit for the works fleet. As I've been hiring a van for the last few weeks I decided to use it until I no longer need it then pass it into the fleet. Anyway, the point is, When it regens I get a notification on the dashboard telling me so. If I stop, the region stops.
My query is, why does the VW feel the need to carry on the region when I've switched off the engine?

It can’t regen without the engine running, the fans run to cool everything down so you don’t get a heat build up when you’re not moving.

Last edited:
I've just bought a new transit for the works fleet. As I've been hiring a van for the last few weeks I decided to use it until I no longer need it then pass it into the fleet. Anyway, the point is, When it regens I get a notification on the dashboard telling me so. If I stop, the region stops.
My query is, why does the VW feel the need to carry on the region when I've switched off the engine?
I don’t think the regen does carry on. The fans run to keep some airflow over the DPF to cool it down

How do u know when its regenning? Does that mean fan kicks in?
Unfortunately there is no good way to know at driver’s seat when engine is regenning.

When regenning the tick over is definitely elevated to keep exhaust temperature high enough to keep going the burning off the soot. Unfortunately there are also other conditions for elevated tick over, high load at aircon seems to be one.

One definite sign is when started cold, the engine coolant reaches 90C much faster than without regen. It’s done by advancing injection thus building up pressure in cylinders faster. At this the sound of engine is slightly rougher, a kind of diesel rattle can be heard at light load. But have to admit it’s not very clearly noticeable.

Having a VCDS or similar would reveal the secrets down to the details. The engine keeps track of last regen, so the statistics above were collected recording the values every now and again.
DPF_VCDS.JPG

Also the Android app Torque would tell when engine is regenning through monitoring exhaust temps, the temp would rise and stay at above 550 C during regen.

Unfortunately there is no good way to know at driver’s seat when engine is regenning.

Sure is. My air-con is on permanently and idle still sits at 850rpm. During Regen it's idles at 1050rpm. You can also hear the fuel rail/turbo during accelerating. Alot more whoosh from the delayed timing and then the throttle response is noticeably less as retarded timing slows turbo spool.

I feel it every time. Euro 5 engines are difficult to feel but the Euro 6 engines are definitely noticeable.

Back