Rear view mirror wiring.

Hi Mike. Missed your questions until now. Stick the @ in front of a username so we get a notification
As for drilling the lens then yeah exactly where you marked it. There's just enough space at the side of the internal LED board to get the wire past. EDIT: I removed the lens and dismantled it before drilling. Once it's off you'll see better if it's doable but I'm not sure if the tailgate version is as easy to remove and replace. I'm sure I've read somewhere here that the tailgate version breaks on removal.
Thanks @Howzat . It worked out fine.

Lens drill.001.jpeg

To anyone who wants to give this a try:

Drill slowly and gently. If you go too fast the plastic melts and grips the flutes of the drill.
I drilled a pilot hole of 1.5 mm, then opened up slowly in 2mm increments. With hindsight it might have been better to go in slowly at the final diameter with a brand new drill. The connector at the end of the camera cable is about 6.6 mm diameter. By the time I'd got the hole to 5.5 mm I could feel the drill bit 'catching'. The lens plastic is quite brittle so I opened up the last mm with a rat-tail file. I also shaved the connector a bit with a new Stanley knife blade.

I needed access to the connector from the inside so drilled a hole with a stepper drill:

Lens drill.002.jpeg

From here I can feed the cable through to the rear left pillar. Will post new pics when that is done. Didn't finish today as new VW carbon spoiler bling arrived.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Just done mine with an AutoVox v5 pro OEM jobby. You lose the main bean assist like Pauly mentions as the sensor is in the original mirror but you don't lose auto wipers. In return you get a reverse camera and front facing dash cam camera that records while driving and while parked if it senses movement. I've mounted my rear camera on the high brake light so I get a cracking rear view while driving and because it's a 170 degree camera it can practically see around corners when I'm reversing. I didn't drill any holes in the bodywork. I drilled the lens instead and fed the wire through there. I had to wait for them to send me an OEM mount for the mirror which tool 4 weeks but well worth the wait because it's cast exactly the same as the OEM mount so I was able to refit the plastic trim around the mirror which makes it look truly OEM with all the wires hidden. It's also cheaper than the OEM retrofit camera to the headunit but provides way more features.
They also sent me 2 mini fuse taps and an extension lead (because I had to route down the barn door, through the rubber ducting to the inside of the van then back up to the roof to run it to the front but then found it was about 3-4 meters too short) FOC. It's a brilliant bit of kit and great service via Amazon and worth every penny when you add up all the additional bits they've sent. Quality seems great so I'm hopeful it'll last a few years too. Massive :thumbsup: from me
Hi @Howzat or anyone else who has fitted the AutoVox v5 Pro
which fuse did you plug into for the yellow and red wires for the percent live and switch live

thanks

Yellow goes to the reverse wire coming out of the rear light cluster. Red to a piggy back fuse in the cab fuse box.

Back